Removing Permatex Black - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Removing Permatex Black

So I f'd up. As you may recall i just did the stator mod for my vulcan and everything mechanically works just fine now.

Unfortunately either I didn't grind the cover down enough or I just didn't put enough permatex on it but after I took it out for a real test drive and it got to heat it started pissing oil.

I didn't notice until i returned home but it came out right at the bottom of the stator cover.

Now I have to pull the thing off, grind it down more just to make sure and then reapply the permatex.

My problem is that I have the screws off but I cannot get the cover off because the permatex cured. Anyone have any suggestions or is it just a matter of me prying the thing off all might makes right style?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Sorry but I can't help you with this one. I've used the black and it is really serious stuff to remove. Even after you manage to get the cover off just scraping it off the cover will be a b**ch.

Sharpen a 1" wide putty knife and carefully tap (small hammer or palm) it in. next use a slim screwdriver or two and work it slowly out. A razor knife carefully used may help to work around as you go. Slow and easy is the trick but while you could warp things you've got to get that cover off. Remember that you're working with aluminum which the putty knife and razor knife can cut, not just bend so work slow and watch the blade angle.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 11-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
And also remember that a sharp edge always does it's job without a conscience.edged tools are cold and callous and will cut whatever it is pointed at so watch your fingers as well.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
So I f'd up. As you may recall i just did the stator mod for my vulcan and everything mechanically works just fine now.

Unfortunately either I didn't grind the cover down enough or I just didn't put enough permatex on it but after I took it out for a real test drive and it got to heat it started pissing oil.

I didn't notice until i returned home but it came out right at the bottom of the stator cover.

Now I have to pull the thing off, grind it down more just to make sure and then reapply the permatex.

My problem is that I have the screws off but I cannot get the cover off because the permatex cured. Anyone have any suggestions or is it just a matter of me prying the thing off all might makes right style?
Take a rubber mallet and slightly tap the cover at a 45 degree angle, two to three taps should be enough to take it off, if not, try slipping a putty knife between the two pieces to separate them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully one of them will work without me smashing up the cover.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

So that was all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Once I gave some "motivated" taps with a file and mallet the cover basically popped off with ease. Then all i had to do was pull the permatex off by hand.

I think my problem was that with the cold in my non heated garage I was working on I never gave the stuff enough time to cure.

I was mpatient and turned on my motorcycle to see if it actually worked only a few hours after application and then took my first right the next day, but that was only some 18 hours later.

The tube suggests a full 24 hours to cure, moreso in the cold or in dry weather.

It's been cold and dry.

The ease at which i removed the permatex leads me to believe it never really cured and contributed heavily into why i was pissing oil after my 2nd test drive.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
So that was all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Once I gave some "motivated" taps with a file and mallet the cover basically popped off with ease. Then all i had to do was pull the permatex off by hand.

I think my problem was that with the cold in my non heated garage I was working on I never gave the stuff enough time to cure.

I was mpatient and turned on my motorcycle to see if it actually worked only a few hours after application and then took my first right the next day, but that was only some 18 hours later.

The tube suggests a full 24 hours to cure, moreso in the cold or in dry weather.

It's been cold and dry.

The ease at which i removed the permatex leads me to believe it never really cured and contributed heavily into why i was pissing oil after my 2nd test drive.
I don't think you had problems with being impatient. I have had 1/4" beads fully cure in about 8 hours in 40 degree weather. I think your problem was contamination, oil and antifreeze will cause Permetex to never set up right. as a general rule, I clean off all my parts I am going to seal with permetex using acetone or brake cleaner to get any residue off the parts, apply my prematex and snug down the bolts to just a little over hand tight (or until the silicone starts to ooze out). Wait about an hour (or until the ooze has a skin) then torque down the bolts to their specified values. immediately after I torque the bolts I start the engine and run it up to operating temps, shut the engine down, then wait another 4-8 hours for the silicone to fully cure. By running the engine up to temperature, it helps the skin harden faster as well as promotes drying from the inside out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

You are probably right slim, I had all ready reattached the cover before reading your post. Fortunately though, I had did what you suggested and took extra care to clean off the parts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I think you got it this time though bud... if not i have a few more tricks up my sleeve yet
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:13 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I suggest Permatex The Right Stuff for the stator cover. Ready to ride in 5 minutes.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat