Trying to replace stator without removing engine - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Trying to replace stator without removing engine

As the title indicates, I am going to try and replace the stator without actually removing the engine.

Thank's to gcextreme i got my handy dandy mod plate. So I'm going to use the stencil he so kindly provided and a dremel rotary tool to cut out the old and replace with the new. Use an oily rag jammed in there so as to not get too much metal dust in there.

I've spied the youtube video where this is done so I know it's doable. Yet, I do have a question and any added advice would be welcomed.

Do i need to drain the oil? If it could be avoided I would prefer not to drain it, but if i should just suck it up then I'll do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 PM

You absolutely want to drain the oil. Just in case you get any shavings in there you will want to flush them out.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

[/U]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj23 View Post
You absolutely want to drain the oil. Just in case you get any shavings in there you will want to flush them out.
+1.

definately change it. maybe even flush area with oil as well.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
After you do you cutting obviously.
Obviously All right. Thanks fellas, I appreciate it. Out the oil goes.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM

I remember a recent post where after making the cut and doing the mod, owner was meticulous about cleaning any visual debris. After running motor for a short run, they changed the oil/filter and found particulate matter. After another flush and fill, there were negligible traces and all was fine.

I'd be a little zealous about cleaning it, then a couple oil changes shortly afterward with basic oil, then new filter and oil for final fill. Oil/filter is alot less expensive than replacing a motor.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Garage
I actually filled my case as full as it would go before it ran out of the case. Used oil was plentiful. Brother owns a repair shop. Did the rags, did the cut. Laid the bike over to let the oil run out of the case into a pan to flush the dust catch in the oil out. Then used old oil thinned with diesel fuel to pour in the case at he cut and drain out the bottom of the pan to flush any shavings. Poured in more used oil to flush the oil/ fuel mixture out. Also use a shop vac with a small piece of water hose on the end and placed it right up against the grinder wheel to pull what it would away from the engine. Did 2 oil filter changes shortly after start up, first at 3 minutes run time and the other at 10 minutes high idle run time. Then a complete oil change at 25 miles run time. Screen was clean and cut open filter was clean. 12,000 miles ago now. Trick is to cut slow. You want dust, not shavings.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 11-15-2013 at 06:57 AM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

That's some good advice Chuck. I don't have the supply of oil that you did though. Would filtering the used oil through cheesecloth work in order to flush it out a few times?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM

Garage
That would help in flushing any dust particles out. Any flush is better than no flush.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
That's some good advice Chuck. I don't have the supply of oil that you did though. Would filtering the used oil through cheesecloth work in order to flush it out a few times?
Just get a case of the cheapest oil\filter you can find. Your only going to run it for a few minutes to circulate it then flush it. Once it goes clean fill it with your real good oil of choice.

This is something you want to make sure is done perfect,,, oil is far less expensive then a new engine.,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement