Headlight Problem on a 2003 A19 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Headlight Problem on a 2003 A19

I can't get the headlight circuit to work without "bumping" the start button while the engine is running. Everything else works on it except the headlight, and the headlight will work if I bump the start button 2-6 times after the motor is running.

Here's the history: After running my battery dry between Anadarko Oklahoma and Cheyenne Wyoming in August, I've been having problems with my electrical system. We put a new battery in at a Dealer in Cheyenne, and then we tested and tested the charging system trying to determine if there was any damage to the Stator or Regulator/Rectifier. We eventually determined that nothing else appeared damaged, so I continued on to Sturgis SD.

With all of the testing after installing the new battery, I don't think it was fully charged when I headed out. At any rate, the new battery lasted for 3 days and finally quit about 250 miles east of Sturgis (we were headed around through Omaha NE to see our son). Bear (my wife) suffered from a shattered bone in her pinky finger when she fell while helping me push-start the bike at a gas stop, so our son came and picked us up for the long ride back to Oklahoma in the truck and trailer.

Bear's finger is healing up good without surgery, so she's well on her way to recovery, but the bike is still having problems. I charged the battery when we got home, and checked the charging system again. Everything was working fine, and we were back to making weekend runs locally (Bear could ride her bike with the half-cast on her right hand). Then, one morning firing up my bike to go to work, the headlight didn't come on. It's been like that ever since that morning.

All other lights work fine and the starting and charging systems appear to be working fine. But the headlight doesn't come on like it should. I accidentally discovered (from talking to some guys about my problem on another Kawasaki Forum) that the headlight will come on and work fine after bumping the starter button a few times while the motor is running. It'll do it every time.

I've replaced the headlight bulb and Junction Box with new ones with no effect. I've substituted the Junction Box, Reserve Lighting Device, Starter Relay (solenoid), and Regulator/Rectifier from a 1994 parts bike with no effect. I don't know much about my parts bike's electrical component condition, since I bought it "non-running", so any or all of the substitutions could be faulty.

Anybody ever run into this kind of a deal?

CD in Anadarko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Re: Headlight Problem on a 2003 A19

Check out the thread in Electrical titled:
NEED HELP - Headlight woes

Do the bypass trick. If your battery does not stay charged afterward, your stator may be bad. Bulldog recently had his stator replaced. The dealer initially said only the regulator was bad. After replacing the regulator, they ran the bike, warmed it up, and put the electrical system under load. Only then did all three, the stator show up as bad.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 05:48 PM

Wink Re: Headlight Problem on a 2003 A19

well, first off, get a ac capable volt meter. put on ac, measure in every possible combination between all 3 yellow wires on rr plug (meter between any 2 at a time) while still hooked up to regulator, by pushing the probe into the back of the regulator plug. with engine running, you should see the same voltage between any 2 of the wires. a significant different voltage would indicate a problem. if there is a difference, unplug from the regulator restart the bike and repeat the test on the sator leads. if they are now higher in voltage, this is normal, what you are looking for is the voltage are equal. if not, you have a defective leg on your stator causing your trouble.

other causes: ground wire to engine from battery may be loose on either end.
defective regulator, but if both regulators do exactly the same, then I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement