Turn signal Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Turn signal Issue

We had some aftermarket signals put on our 750, but I think the guy installed them wrong. First, the rear signals are dual filament bulbs, and the front are single filament. That isn't right is it? When the rear signal lights, it seems like the wrong filament is lighting up- the dimmer one, not the bright flasher one. I looked at the wiring, there are 3 wires running to the light, with one not connected. What color is the hot and what color is the ground on the bikes wiring? I want to try and swap the 3rd wire in and see if that makes the brighter filament light up but don't want to short anything out.

Also- are the front signals supposed to be running lights as well as signals? I can't remember now, and ours are only acting as signals. If they are supposed to be combo running lights and signals in the front, I'm thinking this guy screwed up and mounted the front signals on the back and the back on the front, and I'm going to have to swap the signals and rewire everything.

More and more we realize the guy who did the work on our bike is a hack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:20 AM

He put your front lights on the back and the back on the front. The front should have the three wires. The three wires are; one is ground, one for running lights, and one turn light. I can't remember the colors.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I KNEW this and he told me I was wrong! Why can't people admit that they might have made a mistake and instead give some BS story? He probably figured that I wouldn't look into it any further. Once I opened up the wires for the rear lights and found 3 wires I knew something was wrong. I guess I know what my next project is, swapping the lights around!

Thanks for the info piromedicx.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:56 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I'd cetainly think twice about going back to that guy for any other work.

I could see someone connecting the wires wrong, so the turnsignal and running lights are backwards
(you'd think they'd atleast fix that before the customer picked the bike up), but to put the rears on front and vice versa... that's ridiculous !!

I'd suggest that when ya go to fix the dumbsh*ts mess up, be sure to disconnect the battery so ya don't short out a wire.
Shouldn't be too tough of a job, but I'm curious what he did with the third wire up front, and what he used for a third wire on the rear?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

The 3rd wire in the rear wasn't hooked to anything. It WAS the one that should have been hooked up to the flasher- my original complaint to the guy was the signals were not bright enough, he said it was the bulb, but I felt it was the wrong filament lighting up, which I fixed by hooking up the other wires. I'm sure the 3rd wire in front isn't hooked up at all. He also jerry rigged the wires up front by using electrical tape to wrap them instead of using heat shrink tubing to give them a better finished look. I got some today and I'm going to put that on when I redo the lights so it at least looks better.

We're definitely not going back to this guy. The seat never got finished like he promised. Another lie- we were having red flames sewn into the seat leather. He said he had sent it out to this place that does auto upholstery. Weeks went by. We finally called the auto place. They had never received anything from him, and they told us they don't even do that kind of work- they send it out themselves.

Another thing that went on for weeks was he had supposedly sent out a metal piece to be chromed that was to hook into the sissy bar part of the fender rails and cover the back of the seat. I imagine that never got fabricated, let alone sent out for chroming.

We found another guy who does custom work and has 30 years in the business. We took the bike to him and showed him what we wanted done. He's going to fabricate some new fender rails for us that are longer and follow the line of the fender, and relocate the rear signals. We're going to redo the seat ourselves. We bought some vinyl at a fabric store- one piece of cheapo stuff to experiment with, and a good piece of marine grade for the finished product. We're going to buy a gel pad (another thing he said he did, but I will guarantee that when I strip the seat down there is no gel in there). I'm going to build out a tail piece on the seat with some sheet metal, use pop rivets to connect it to the original pan, shave down the foam, insert the gel pad, and we'll recover the seat.

In the meantime we found a stock seat at a junkyard that is in nice shape, so once I get the lights done, I'm going to put that back on so we can start to play with the custom seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement