Need Help with Wiring for Stebel Nautilus - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Need Help with Wiring for Stebel Nautilus

Received the horn this week and have started to install it. I've run into a bind due to my lack of electrical experience. I'd like to run a wire from the relay that came with the horn and use a wire from the horn switch to activate the relay.

Problem is -- I can't figure out which wire to use and where to pick it up. I've looked at the wiring schematics till my eyes water! tried a BW and BY at the connector on the left front of the bike. (Loosened and lifted the gas tank to get at the bundles.) No joy - pressing the horn button with the ignition switch on shows no voltage. But I may be using my multimeter incorrectly too!

HELP!!

Hmmm, this post doesn't seem to be showing up in the new posts group. Not that experienced at "Posting" either I guess!!

Last edited by mngunner; 05-19-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Try this, I am a Master Mechanic so if I get to indepth sorry.
Take the Black with white wire from the horn and hook it to pin 85 on the relay.
pin 30 goes to your new horn.
run a fused wire from the battery to pin 86 and 87 on the relay.
When you puch the horn button it will apply grount to the col on the relay,pin 85, and power from batt on pin 86 activates the realy.
The pin 30 will connect to the pin 87 and supply power to the horn.
Juat make sure you ground the horn.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

a few basic steps for using a multimeter

Whether you use one every day or rarely, there are a few things you have to do to use a multimeter to troubleshoot your problem:

1. Consider safety before you start. Except for the spark plug wires, there are no hazardous voltages normally present on a bike. But if the engine is running and the regulator is bad, the alternator can generate enough to give you a nasty shock. A more likely problem is letting a test lead slip and short out a hot wire to ground. This can do anything from blowing a fuse to melting a harness. You can make a fine spot welder with a battery and a dead short. Keep your hands on the plastic parts of the probes and watch where you're sticking things.

2. Make sure the meter is set right..DC volts (sometimes they use wavy lines to represent AC and a straight line symbol for DC). If you have a choice of ranges, set it for 20 volts, or the next higher available.

3. Normally there is a black test lead; it plugs into the jack marked COM or GND or with a minus sign. Sometimes there's a choice of jacks for the other lead; you want the one marked V or DCV.

4. 99% of needed measurements are voltage with respect to ground. Connect the black probe to a ground point - the battery neg is best, followed by bare metal on the frame. Remember that with a little corrosion, the battery NEG and frame might not be at the same voltage - a problem that needs fixing before you go on. Check the meter by measuring the battery +; it should read 11.5-13 volts not running. With the lights on check the voltage between frame and the battery NEG; it should be under .25v

5. Sometimes getting at the point you want to measure is a challenge. An old dentist's probe with tape wrapped around the handle can get to where you can't reach with bigger probes. When I get desperate I shove a sewing pin through the insulation on a wire to get a reading, and then tape the wire afterward. But always, think safety and don't let things short together.

Hope this wasn't too basic or long winded. Good luck with the horns.

Bob
Fairport, NY

2000 VN750
new to me on 5/11/07 @ 5100 mi
9/19/07 up to 7926 mi
windshield & bags by previous owner
dry splines lubed at 5200 mi
R&R relocate, maintenance free battery
EBC clutch
Clear Alternatives LED taillight - GET ONE!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
Try this, I am a Master Mechanic so if I get to indepth sorry.
No not too indepth at all-- you were a big help. I finally got the horn to work -- it was the second 12v fused terminal that I hadn't connected. Stebel's instructions aren't really clear if you aren't using the current horn harness.

Bob -- thanks for the Multimeter lesson. It was a big help.

I should have the horn installed tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can find a relay harness to work with since that will be a cleaner installation.

Thanks again for your help! This board is amazing!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:16 PM
85 VN 700

Depending on where you are mounting the horn... the relay that comes with the stebel fits nicely in the headlight bucket...

I assume you allready know to wire the relay direct to the battery. The stebel pulls a LOT of current when ya hit the button.

Best of luck!

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Search Goddess

Check out Gadget's instructions for installing the Stebel horn. It also includes the option of seperating the compressor from the trumpets for easier placement.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Well, the horn is finally in. Thought I was done once, but after getting nearly everything tucked away -- the horn wouldn't work. I finally figured out, after a continuity check showed the wiring and connections were good, that the splice at the BW 'trigger' wire was bad. I had used a too large Posiconnector and the probe missed the wire. Switched to a 3M tap and 'voila' she was good to go.

Fabricated a mount out of 1/4 x 1 1/4 aluminum and attached it to one of the mounts for the engine guard. The horn sits on the left side just underneath the air cleaner housing. Tight but should be fine. Lordy, but that horn is LOUD!! PERFECT!

Thanks to all for your help. Couldn't have done it without you!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

Instructions for wiring the Stebel Nautilus:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/installinf...stebelhorn.pdf

`
"When the sun's comin' up,
I got cakes on the griddle.
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle,
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement