Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

Battery tender?

Just curious here. Put in a sealed battery and external cable to attach to a 'Battery Tender Plus' 12V 1.25 amp It states that it can be left connected because after it's fully charged it goes into 'Storage' mode.

Should I leave it plugged in all the time? Or, plug it in say, a day before I plan on riding? Or, some other combination of time?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM

If the charging system is working correctly, you should only need to hook up the battery tender when you're not riding for an extended period of time. Or at least that's my thoughts on the subject. I commute to work on mine whenever the weahter permits and therefore very seldom have to put mine on the charger.

I went on vacation recently and hooked it up then, but that's the only time since I got my charging issues lined out. I was still nervuos after replacing my r/r and would check the battery with a multimeter after every ride, but it's working fine so the battery tender is a not needed luxury for now.

When winter comes around I'm sure that I'll hook it up more often, but I ride in the winter too as long as it's not raining since it very seldom snows in TX and freezing weather is not very common.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

Yea, seems that I might not have needed the tender after all. I bought an AGM battery. Go here: http://www.metaefficient.com/archive...cle-batteries/ and scroll down to see: "AGMs have a very low self-discharge — from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Never satisfied

Be careful on extended hookups I thought I was having problems with my 900 which had a bad battery from day one. The dealer replaced it and I put it on the charger a couple times and all was well. Then one day it wouldn't go off the 80% mode so at first I thought I had another bad battery so I stuck it on another agm I had and it went to 80% charge in about a minute then stayed there all night. When I unplugged it the next morning the battery was quite warm. I know now my charger isn't working right which is a very rare accurance but keep a eye out just the same if you are going to leave it hooked up for a long period of time. My battery tender is only two years old and now I'll have to get it repaired or replaced.

Jeff (Woody) Woodward
[B]'99' Black and blue(deceased)
06 900 Classic
MS shield&lowers
ISO flame grips
Mustang seat
Cobra backrest/rack
Phat II risers
Leatherlyke bags
Roadhouse 2 into 1's (wish they were made for 750's)
Scootworks pulley
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 02:06 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I hooked up my Tender plus to the battery when it was dead enough to not turn the bike over (the bike had been sitting for a couple months, standard battery). Only took an over night charge to give it plenty enough juice to fire it up.

So I'd agree that hooking the Tender up only when the bike will be stored for an extended period of time should be fine.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Dan

I have my 1.25 amp Battery Tender connected whenever the bike is in the gargage. My last battery lasted seven years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement