Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

no spark on rear cylinder

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gibbo 
#1 ·
I went looking through the forum and didn't see anything exactly like my problem so here goes-rebuilt the engine, and tore into everything. Put everything back together and still it doesn't start, 1986 vn750. It turns over real pretty. Got spark to the front cylinders and I read that some people were able to run their bikes on just the front cylinder or so it seems...but mine won't even start. Did the coastering, cleaned the carbs, have fuel. I checked the ic coil and went through the trouble shooting on the starter system don't understand my olms meter too well but tried doing the ic ignitor internal resistance testing and the numbers weren't the same as the chart. (Page 306 in Clymers) not sure I was looking at the right numbers either so I might have a short or open in the unit, and short I understand but open in the unit I don't know what that means.
I am so close to starting this bike I can taste it! But feel so depressed cause it isn't starting yet...OH and I didn't do a compression test have no equipment to do that...so if I need to do that it will have to go to a shop which will be in the distant future...no finances to do the shop. So is there anything? That anyone can suggest? thanks...

#3 ·
You have spark, is it timed spark ? .... when reinstalling the pick-up coils...., are they properly/physically located to #1 cylinder & #2 cylinder timed spark ?

....something to check
:smiley_th

#4 ·
I did check the color of wires to the correct positions but I haven't done the mod where you change the distance to the .20 or .22 like some have done.

#7 ·
I did check the color of wires to the correct positions but I haven't done the mod where you change the distance to the .20 or .22 like some have done.
k, good.

......that mod assists in hot starts, and most riders find added power.

#5 ·
williamtech I just read your lines again I think I was confused about what you wrote. You mean did I get the right cylinder spark plug wire to the right front cylinder, I will check that one.

#6 ·
ok don't know what you mean by 'timed spark' but have the right spark plugs in the right spot. for front and back cylinders.

#8 ·
also all my fuses are good. I don't know why it is not getting spark to the rear cylinder-what am I not checking?

#9 ·
I would suspect your ICM Box and/or connector contacts.
OP will be able to direct/inform you better.

#10 ·
I would suggest checking the simple stuff first. Connections from the ignition pickup coils all the way through to the ignitor box. Connections from the coils also all the way back to the box. Do any of the wires look to have been trapped or damaged in any way ? Do they all go where they should ? Do the connectors make a good tight connection ? Are any of them corroded ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.