Adding LED lights to the rear of bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Adding LED lights to the rear of bike

I am considering a small 3" LED light on the rear of bike either somewhere on the fender or on the license plate bracket. I would like it to be on at all times and also light up when the brake is applied. Is there anything (LED light) out there that anyone knows about that will perform as I would like. I keep finding LED's that perform one or the other, but seem to not be capable of both.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Why aren't we riding?

I don't know about elsewhere, but I've been told "accent" lights are not legal in MD while on the road. I have however installed a conversion kit for my rear turn signals that turn them into running/brake lights as well as turn signals. Just about doubles the amount of light you have on the rear. They don't make a big difference during the day, but at night they are quite noticeable.

They come from Electrical connections.

http://electricalconnection.com/othe...star&sport.htm

I paid $50 for mine at a local service shop (non-stealership)

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

"Priscilla" aka "The other woman"
1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

It's the same in WI. for "Accent lighting", however as long as you use red to the rear and amber to the front and sides you can add them as long as it is within reason and doesn't blind the person behind you. If you hooked up an insane amount of LED's to your brake light and it lit up the road like a football field when you are braking--you can bet it's going to draw the attention of local law enforcement or even worse the state patrol and you won't have them on your bike for long. There is a difference between lighting as a safety function and someone who just likes to wire up a lot of lights because they think it looks "cool".
Wi. will not allow you to run around with neon accent lighting around or on the engine or under the frame/body panels or the use of the lights on your wheels (unless it's amber) while in motion on the road/highway. Wi. use to allow for red turn signals and running lights on the rear years ago. That may have changed in recent years.
I changed the rear lenses from amber to red on my VN700 I used to have and the law never bothered me. Take a good hard look at some older (2004 and earlier) Harleys out there on the road--some of them don't have any amber lenses on the rear--it's all red (depending on the model)! I don't know if they are still using all red on certain models or not.
Anyway--good link. I may go that route since I was considering purchasing another set of front turn signals to put on the rear so I had constant lighting and turn signals (same as front) and just get some red bulbs since I have smoke lenses. My only concern was the added draw on the charging system. So the LED's should cut the draw way down. The only problem I would have with this LED system you linked me to is the fact that I have smoke colored lenses and am not running amber and red lenses. I am running amber bulbs up front and red bulbs in the rear. The link you posted says it utilizes the amber lens to produce a red running light and still produce a amber turn signal. So it probably wont work for my application.
This is why I was considering a small LED for the rear instead of running constant lights at the turn signals, so I can save my charging system demand.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I put this on my bike and like it alot. I have the single LED bar has running lights and Brake light.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/lpf.htm

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Why aren't we riding?

Racohoon. I think these would work for you. If you are getting an amber turn signal out of your setup, it should work. Basically they are red LEDs and they shut off when the turn signal comes on.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

"Priscilla" aka "The other woman"
1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement