new guy needs help!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

new guy needs help!!

hello to all. i have been a member for a while and have found some great info here. i have a problem that i hope i can get some help with from the membership. my '85 vn700 will not fire. now if it were all stock it might be a easy fix but i could not leave it alone and chopped it up. the wiring harnes was customized (read gutted) and i have removed the junction box in favor of seperate fused circits for the lights, fan ect. i have gone over the wiring diagrams several times and it seems that all the wires are in order but still no spark. it cranks great, thru the automotive switch i have put in but no spark at the plug. i did the plug wire/ngk cap change but i used "radio supression" wire i had around, could the resistance be too great to allow for a spark??

any help, thoughts or links will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
hoodrat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds like you did all this at one time? I mean pulling and rewiring the whole bike all at once. Were you getting spark before you changed the plug wire?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

the bike had been sitting for about a year but it did run prior to me doing my "mods". i read another post here about "cut and gut" and will try what was recomended there.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
The ignitors, coils, and plugs are the only things involved in making spark.

Are you sure the four pin connector from the ignitors is connected? It is a good first choice as you get spark to neither cylinder. This 4 wire lead comes out of the left side cover adjacent to the stator wires, wraps under the engine, and back up towards the battery box area were it connects to the harness.

Check that before you go any further.

While you are at it, make sure the +12V and ground leads are connected to each coil.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

everything seems to be in its proper place. i am going to clean all the connections and use some dielectric grease on them. on the coils, what wire goes where? no markings for pos/neg on them

thanks

Last edited by hoodrat; 05-07-2007 at 01:03 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 AM

You used automotive ignition wires and cut them up to length and twisted them into the coils and plug ends? If this is what you did--I do not believe the automotive ignition wires will carry the required voltage due to the very high resistance--especially "radio supression" ignition wiring.
If you still have the Kawasaki ignition wires, I would start there and put them back on. Then check for spark. If you are 100% positive that your "cutomized" wiring is correct then you should have spark and it should run.
Radio supression ignition wire has a graphite/tungsten core. The factory Kawasaki plug wires are metal wire core. If you still have no spark and it won't run after you put the factory plug wires back on--I'd go over your "custom" wiring and "disect" it from beginning to end--all over again. Whenever you do a major undertaking with electrical/wiring issues, it's usually a good idea to do it in sections or steps. I.E. start with your fan wiring-then try it make sure it still works. Then move on to the next. This will help and hopefully avoid the problem you have currently. It's always bettter to undo what you last did then troubleshoot many different possibilities. Don't feel bad--we have all jumped the gun when we get anxious and have several things we want to change or upgrade and just do them all at once, then reflect back and think "ya know--I should have probably........"
That's how we learn! Good luck--I hope this helps you out, let us know what you find.

Last edited by racohoon; 05-07-2007 at 03:18 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 AM

Something else you can check is the voltage on the coil wires. The red wires that attach to each coil should have 12v when the key is turned on. If they have no voltage or low, that would point to a bad connector or no connection. I think the two wires can be plugged on to either connector on the coil.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM

According to the Kawasaki repair manual (not Clymers) the red (R) wire goes on the left side of the front coil and the black (BK) wire goes to the right side of the coil. For the rear coil (behind the side cover) the red wire goes on the top terminal and the black wire on the bottom terminal (the coil is mounted sideways)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

yup i jumped the gun a bit. one circut at a time would heve been much better. live and hopefully learn. will recheck the wires and get some mc puug wires for it. thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

ok, i doubled check the connections (cleaned and dilectric greased them) and rechecked the wire routing. i have power at the coils (test light lighted) still no spark. i will look for some non resistor plug wire tomorrow. it has to be to much resistiance, i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement