Running on one cylinder - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Running on one cylinder

Any body had the same issues ? Checked the back cyl no spark on either cap, the ground wire had come off the coil, replaced fires up sets off like a 750 not a 325 job done so I thought 1/2 mile into ride back to one cylinder this time check the sparks good on all 4 caps but front 2 plugs dry as bone n not firing ? Checked them out with plugs resting on case n getting blue spark from both... Am I missing something very basic ? Ps I had the tank off as this is what the Claymer manual said do to check coil packs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Use the search option, there are lots of people that had the same problem. I had the same thing happen with mine. I found it to be a bad set of pickup coils and a bad junction box.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I have a workshop manual and will be going through all the test procudures heres hoping its simple with the leccy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Strawson View Post
.... 1/2 mile into ride back to one cylinder this time check the sparks good on all 4 caps but front 2 plugs dry as bone n not firing ? Checked them out with plugs resting on case n getting blue spark from both...
Sounds like a fuel problem unless the the spark came back after it cooled down some. Was there much time between shutdown and the time you checked the spark again? Need to repeat the scenario and check for spark immediately.

If it's fuel, that carb may have the float stuck in the up position or it's jets clogged.

IF ... then check for fuel in that supply line and work forward.

Could give it a shot of fuel into the intake while running to see if it picks up, hard to do with the stock air filters. Would have to try and slide a boot over slightly.

Usually, some judicious taps with a tool on the float bowl will free a stuck float. Hit hard, but not hard enough to break anything.

If it's ignition coming and going, I would suspect the coil breaking down under heat. 1/2 mile wouldn't get it all that warm, but they all have their own fail point when they get that way.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm now fully sorted did the 3 step diagnosis compression spark fuel had the first two but no fuel. Unscrewed the drain plug on back carb loads of petrol ! Yes i said petrol or gas to you foreigners, the front carb dry as bone did the blow through, tapped it with screwdriver handle, did a rain dance, spat at the moon, cursed god, and hay !! wait what's all this gas pissing out !!!! Job done sorted happy as grumpy old git can be ! Honest I really am ? Now just waiting my bottle of sea foam yep all the way from good old U S of A 20 bleeding quid that's about $35 going to try some cheap stuff from GB like STP as well cant hurt until the sea foam arrives !! With autumn looming I'm going to pencil a carb strip down float check all the basic stuff, I'm starting to search why my ride won't start after a carb strip down !!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

PS just goes to prove don't strip down until you've done a blow job !!!!!!! On your own !!!! Float chamber
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Garage
/\ lol

Nothing like self gratification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement