I think I messed up my starter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

I think I messed up my starter

So I pulled my starter to rebuild, the brush part didn't fit. Put it back together and all I got was rapid clicking from the relay (and a little smoke from the starter). I pulled the starter again and ground down the brush plate so it would fit. Got everything installed and the starter turns by hand so nothing seems bound up.

Re-install the starter and same thing with the relay, rapid clicking. Is there a trick that I'm missing on the starter? I checked the continuity of the contacts per the manual and they all check out. Is there a washer placement that anyone can recall giving them problems?

I'm pulling my hair out. I have a new relay doming today or tomorrow. Battery is new and charged fully.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Are you sure you put it together right?
The post that goes thru the housing to the outside must not be in
Contact with the housing anywhere or you'll short it out.
The order of things is very important right there.
Unfortunately I don't have a breakdown of how it goes together.
I've done mine twice & I almost botched the second time my assembling in the wrong order.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
Are you sure you put it together right?
The post that goes thru the housing to the outside must not be in
Contact with the housing anywhere or you'll short it out.
The order of things is very important right there.
Unfortunately I don't have a breakdown of how it goes together.
I've done mine twice & I almost botched the second time my assembling in the wrong order.
I thought I was pretty careful about that. I think maybe what I'll do next (besides buying another starter) is take it out and before putting it back in, take my spare battery and strap the starter down and just give it a boost and see if it turns at all. It has to be shorted someplace you're right. I mean, otherwise it would at least turn right. There isn't much to the thing. THe top and bottom caps on the case should keep the middle away from contacting the middle of the case I would think.

-Below is everything that came with the rebuild kit. The brush tray is slightly wider than the starter so I had to grind trim it for it to fit inside the case. But the old parts which looked ok and that did fit, they produced the exact same sound - which was nothing except relay clicking.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 09-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM

sounds like a short, the short causes the voltage to drop to the solenoid so much that it clicks off, when it clicks off the voltage comes back up cause there is no load, allowing it to re-energize, (click again).

what if you jump right to the starter? this will eliminate the solenoid. be careful, if the starter is shorted it will melt stuff

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
sounds like a short, the short causes the voltage to drop to the solenoid so much that it clicks off, when it clicks off the voltage comes back up cause there is no load, allowing it to re-energize, (click again).

what if you jump right to the starter? this will eliminate the solenoid. be careful, if the starter is shorted it will melt stuff

kenny
I should be able to take out the starter...flippin AGAIN and tap a battery on it and see it try to turn or not outside the bike before I put it back in...flippin AGAIN.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I should be able to take out the starter...flippin AGAIN and tap a battery on it and see it try to turn or not outside the bike before I put it back in...flippin AGAIN.
practice makes perfect....lol

Listen...been there with other things myself....put together an old altimeter once 6 times till everything lined up and moved freely. the innerds of the old altimeter was like clockwork....gears...pivots on jewels....and tons of monkey motion.

Damn if it didn't turn into a personal issue...and was damn satisfying when I finally got it right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
this is a good idea, I doubt a multimeter will be able to measure resistance across the starter, i bet it is less then an ohm

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Just to be clear as I can see where I might have been misunderstood.
The post that the electrical current comes thru, the + battery post if you will.
All the washers & such need to be in the right order to avoid a shorted contact.
I wonder if roach did a starter rebuild video yet?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Starter fixed!

Looks like the bolt through the housing was touching the cover via a washer that was black that looked like it was rubber but wasn't. I even got the new rebuilt parts working (after grinding the plate to fit inside the housing). Sucker starts STRONG and my issue starting hot is FIXED!

I have a starter coming from Bean this weekend so if my starter lasts for the next few days then I'll have a good starter for sale I guess. I'm so happy. Going to be a beautiful weekend!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Giggity!

Garage
That's what I was suspecting. Glad you got it working.
Good job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement