2001 VN750 brake light issue - hand works, foot does not! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb 2001 VN750 brake light issue - hand works, foot does not!

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 VN750 and noticed yesterday that my brake light was not working when I pressed by foot brake pedal. The brakes do function and the right hand brake level does light up the brake light. I wasn't sure where to start since the brakes are working fine and as long as I use my hand with my foot brake, I have a brake light. Thanks in advance for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 AM
"ya can't live forever"

Check the spring that is attached to the brake pedal........it should be connected to the switch that sits just to the left of the bottom of the brake pedal on the motor side. If it is connected you may have to readjust the tension by screwing the switch to the right to tighten it up some.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I just pulled apart my brake pedal set-up, so here's what I can tell you to look for: there's an electrical lead that screws into the top of the brake pedal assembly - looks like a big ol' spark plug and, in fact, there's a small metal extension at the bottom of it. There should be a spring between that extension and the cable housing assembly - when the brake is depressed, it pulls the assembly down, and the spring pulls on the electrical extension signalling that the brake has been applied. Check to see if you've lost that spring - I'm still trying to find the correct replacement size, but hope to have that figured out this evening. I can send specs if you did in fact lose the spring.

C

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 AM
85 VN 700

Wasn't there a fergy done "fridge drawing" of that switch? Or was it another switch (Seems like it was Crobins thread?)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Wasn't there a fergy done "fridge drawing" of that switch? Or was it another switch (Seems like it was Crobins thread?)
Different switch (starter), but mybe I can rival Fergy's fridge drawing of that one.

C
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Ooooh, fridge drawing wars! One thing to check, turn on your key and get down there and pull on the spring (assuming you still have the spring) til the metal thingie pulls out and see if it lights your brake light. If pulling the metal thingie doesn't light your brake light, give it a good soaking with wd40 or elect contact cleaner and work it in and out a while and see if it doesn't start working. Rain and road silt can bugger up this switch, as well as the kickstand switch, even your hand brake switch and clutch release switch. It's a good idea to shoot some wd or electrical contact cleaner into those switches once in a while, especially after your bike has been in some rain.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, men. I will follow-up when I return home and give you an update over the weekend. Have a good weekend!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:27 AM

I just had the opposite problem. The light would work with the back brake, but not the front, and the switch would stick on the back brake making my brake light stay on. I removed both switches and lubed/cleaned with wd-40. Now everything's in working order....except the [email protected]#* r/r which has been ordered and is "in the mail". Both swithches are fairly easy to remove and clean. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Ooooh, fridge drawing wars! One thing to check, turn on your key and get down there and pull on the spring (assuming you still have the spring) til the metal thingie pulls out and see if it lights your brake light. If pulling the metal thingie doesn't light your brake light, give it a good soaking with wd40 or elect contact cleaner and work it in and out a while and see if it doesn't start working. Rain and road silt can bugger up this switch, as well as the kickstand switch, even your hand brake switch and clutch release switch. It's a good idea to shoot some wd or electrical contact cleaner into those switches once in a while, especially after your bike has been in some rain.
Ferg, how'd you post your pic? Mine is a Word doc and sits at 28kb - too large a Word file for the Forum. Help? I'm ready to begin the war, but my weapons are out of reach.

C
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 PM

OOOOh, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
I did mine in photoshop, saved it as a jpg. But, you can do this: While word has your document opened, hit your "print screen" button on the keyboard. Then immediately open "Paint" and under the edit menu select "paste". It will paste the screen shot into your new paint window. Then use the square dotted line tool (for a lack of a better explanation) and draw a square around just the picture you drew, and under the edit menu, select copy. Then under file select new. Then under edit select paste. It will paste just the picture into your new window. Then do a save as, and select jpg as the file type, tell it where you want to save it and whallaa.
Depending on how large you drew your image, you might have to size it down some using some other tools under the Image menu like "scale" and use percentages to get it down to a workable size. You'll know when you try to upload it here whether it is too large or not. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Just had a thought. Maybe word has a save as option where you can save it as a jpg? Maybe not. That would sure make things easier if it does.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 04-26-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement