Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to IASKRU12
Question Overheating stator wiring

Has anyone else had problems with their stator wires overheating? Twice now, I have had problems with melted wiring connectors. Once with the original wiring, that looked bad enough that I replaced it when I fused the wires and just again on one of the butt splices I used to attach the fuses. The plug receptacle on the OEM R/R also has brittle carbonized plastic on the top, the side away from where my exhaust crosses over (I have been degoated).
I just wanted to warn people to be on the look out for this, see if anyone else has seen this problem and also find out if anyone has any idea about what might be causing it.

Thanks

Mike
Bellevue, WA
'96 Vulcan 750 'Hanchi'
VROC#11903
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: Overheating stator wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASKRU12
Has anyone else had problems with their stator wires overheating? Twice now, I have had problems with melted wiring connectors. Once with the original wiring, that looked bad enough that I replaced it when I fused the wires and just again on one of the butt splices I used to attach the fuses. The plug receptacle on the OEM R/R also has brittle carbonized plastic on the top, the side away from where my exhaust crosses over (I have been degoated).
I just wanted to warn people to be on the look out for this, see if anyone else has seen this problem and also find out if anyone has any idea about what might be causing it.

Thanks
Mike...I've done a check for hot wires on the side of the rode when I had my Electrex/OEM RR dilemma (posted here under 'Vendors'), but I've never had a problem. I think one reason for this is that I have soldered my connections and eliminated the butts. I don't like the fact that the wiring coming from the stator is probably 14~16 guage and the RR wiring looks to be no thicker than 18g. I highly recommend soldering...
The RR connector is another issue. Before Electrex sent me a new RR with no harness, just an OEM plug, I sanded the connectors when I relocated the RR, and wrapped the whole thing in good electrical tape. I stuffed it in the left cover, as far away from the engine as I could. I don't know what you mean by '...the side away from where my exhaust crosses over.' but you may want to try to cable tie it away from whatever heat source is trying to melt it...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to IASKRU12
Post Re: Overheating stator wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1515
I don't know what you mean by '...the side away from where my exhaust crosses over.' but you may want to try to cable tie it away from whatever heat source is trying to melt it...
It was the side that was directly against the battery box. I have solved that problem by relocating my R/R. It is attached by a home made bracket on the frame hanging right above the drive shaft.

Mike
Bellevue, WA
'96 Vulcan 750 'Hanchi'
VROC#11903
Sponsored Links
Advertisement