Sparkplug question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Sparkplug question

OK, so I am not new to wrenching, having worked on my own Jeeps for the last 35+ years. I am however new to bikes and just want to make sure I got this right.

While trying not to go crazy awaiting the parts I need to get the bike back on the road, I decided to do a little preventative maintenance and replace the sparkplugs. Got a set of new NGK iridiums, pulled the first plug, installed the new one and torqued it down to 144 in-lbs. Was feeling pretty good until I tried to put the wire back on. Just didn't want to seat no matter what I tried. So finally I look down at the old plug on the floor and notice that the threads on the end are bare. Now I am thinking, oh crap the little metal thingie must be stuck up inside the boot. Turns out when I pulled the other three plugs, none of them had that metal piece either. So I pull the new plug, remove the metal piece, re-install it and the boot snaps right on.

So am I right in thinking that the plug wires on the Vulcan are intended to be used on the bare threads of the sparkplugs? If so, that is a totally new one for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

Yes sir, you are correct. No little metal thingies on the ends of our spark plugs. I'm not entirely sure why (maybe a vibration/contact thing), but if I had to guess, it's the Japanese telling the rest of the world that having a big end on your plug isn't always necessary....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs

Last edited by Jakzen; 08-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakzen View Post
..... it's the Japanese telling the rest of the world that having a big end on your plug isn't always necessary....
Very nicely played!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Now, ya see...I put automotive wires on mine, and they require the tips...the tips, btw, cannot be purchased separately easily....

What many dont know too, is there is a resistor inside the stock NGK plug wire end...looks like the old style glass buss fuse...I removed mine and replaced with a piece of steel bolt the same length...I run stock NGK plugs...tried the Iridiums, and saw no difference....mebbe because I removed the resistors....but I run fine on stock...

Resistor plugs and wires lower the intensity of a spark, from what Ive been told...now, resistor stuff was designed to stop interference with AM radio, and lowband TV broadcast, which I bet only those in Kamchatka, Iceland, and the Northwest Territories might still use...

Last edited by Wolfie; 08-16-2013 at 05:06 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Well if anyone ever needs those little metal thingies, I got 4 brand new ones sitting atop the toolbox in the garage.

Old plugs didn't look half bad, maybe showing signs of running a little rich. Figured I'd do all the "normal" stuff (oil, coolant, final drive fluid, air filters, sparkplugs, couple cans of seafoam) as it is "new" to me. I ain't too sure the previous owner (oldest girl) ever did any maintenance on the bike. You try to raise em right but some times they just don't listen.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

I personally think that occasionally using seafoam is a good thing, especially if there's old gas in the carbs/tank/lines, but don't overdo it. I learned the hard way (as have some others here I think) about putting too much in the fuel. Do so and we may see you in a new thread asking why it's suddenly smoking and how to fix it...

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Only put 1/4 can in each tank full. Figure the can is sized for a "normal" car's gas tank of 12 to 20 gallons. Hope it won't be too much of a problem.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM

I'll take that fer payment fer the fork tubes, lol...youre the right Joe, eh ?....lol

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Yep I am the right Joe and I will be sure to leave the metal thingies behind when I pick up the tubes!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM

"Metal thingies"....lol...thats sound so frickin lame, lolol....but what else do ya call em ????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement