Can only start bike in neutral?! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Can only start bike in neutral?!

Other bikes I've rode, can be started in hear with the clutch pulled in. Why can't I start the vn750 this way? The bike has to be in neutral to start. Is there a mod or something to eliminate this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Old Fart

Garage
There's a switch in the clutch lever housing that might be bad or sticking....this tells the bike the clutch lever is pulled in and allows you to start the bike in gear.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgt1108 View Post
Other bikes I've rode, can be started in hear with the clutch pulled in. Why can't I start the vn750 this way? The bike has to be in neutral to start. Is there a mod or something to eliminate this?

Thanks
I had the same problem a while back. Spray the switch KM is talking about with some WD40. That took care of mine.

Mcneuby

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Ndr

Most certainly check out the clutch lever switch. Was having the same problem with my little Rebel after putting it back together until I realize that I forgot to hook the wires for the switch back up.

Also, I don't recall if the bike can be started with the kickstand down regardless of the clutch switch being pulled in when the bike is in gear. (been awhile sine I've tried)

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
Most certainly check out the clutch lever switch. Was having the same problem with my little Rebel after putting it back together until I realize that I forgot to hook the wires for the switch back up.

Also, I don't recall if the bike can be started with the kickstand down regardless of the clutch switch being pulled in when the bike is in gear. (been awhile sine I've tried)
No, bike cannot be started with kick stand down unless that switch has been by-passed.

My bike was having the same issues until I realized the plug wasn't making good contact. Really need to have that clutch switch working, the tranny can be difficult if trying to get back to neutral from any gear higher than 1st.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I solved that problem by removing both switches and connecting the wires together. I have done that to all my bikes for as long as they have had those switches. My Goldwing did not have a sidestand switch, it used to have a piece of rubber on the sidestand that was supposed to touch down first and flip the sidestand up. Having the clutch switch disabled really came in handy a couple of times on the Goldwing. It was parked on gravel landscaping, and would not start. I couldn't push it because my feet were slipping in the loose gravel. I got on it, put it in gear, and used the starter motor to move it more than 20 feet, out of the gravel.

This is what I did. I am not recommending anyone else do it. I started riding long before there were any such switches.

I also park my bike in first gear all the time when out running around, and always start it is first gear with the clutch pulled in. This is to avoid the shock load (the loud "clunk") that happens when moving gears mesh with non moving gears.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
No, bike cannot be started with kick stand down unless that switch has been by-passed.

My bike was having the same issues until I realized the plug wasn't making good contact. Really need to have that clutch switch working, the tranny can be difficult if trying to get back to neutral from any gear higher than 1st.
I think that might need some more clarification. I start my bike nearly every time with the kickstand down without holding in the clutch. As long as the bike is in Neutral this should not be a problem. And if the bike is in gear, I can hold in the clutch and start it with the kickstand down as well. No switches have been bypassed on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
I think that might need some more clarification. I start my bike nearly every time with the kickstand down without holding in the clutch. As long as the bike is in Neutral this should not be a problem. And if the bike is in gear, I can hold in the clutch and start it with the kickstand down as well. No switches have been bypassed on my bike.
Yeah, that's the factory set-up

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Love these "safety" systems...
Yes you can start th bike with the kickstand down. All bikes I know of allow this (as long as its in neutral or clutch lever in if in gear)

Now, my FJR could NOT run with the stand down clutch lever in if in gear, just neutral only)

My Bonneville can't be started unless the clutch is pulled in...regardless if its in neutral OR in gear.

The Honda scooter I had only will start if the rear brake is applied.

My only suggestion here is to trash all the above nonsense and make bikes so they won't start unless your helmet is strapped...as I see riders who fail to do this all the time.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
My only suggestion here is to trash all the above nonsense and make bikes so they won't start unless your helmet is strapped...as I see riders who fail to do this all the time.
Sometimes ya can fix stupid, but you cannot fix not having good common sense. LOL

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 08-16-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement