TPE Stator - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

TPE Stator

I installed the TPE stator along with a new MOSFET R/R a couple months ago. Last night I had to pull the plate (tuxedo mod done) to correct a small oil leak and noticed that the stator is already black. Oil is clean so is not from dirty oil. Charging is still normal and everything works fine, just worried about the looks. Is this normal or does it mean the stator is heating up too much for some reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
stators get warm and turn dark brown and some times even black... If every thing is charging fine, I wouldn't worry too much. Do you have a volt meter added to your bike? If not, get one. that way you know for sure if and when you have a problem,
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM750 View Post
...and noticed that the stator is already black. Oil is clean so is not from dirty oil....Is this normal or does it mean the stator is heating up too much for some reason?
NM750, that blackening is symptomatic of what kills the stator. There is little, if any, oil which gets to the stator to cool it, so heat builds up and bakes the coating until it fails, eventually causing shorts and open windings. Did you see that on your original stator?

I wrote up a modification which addresses this and by washing the stator in oil - you can read about it here and here, and there are pictures in my signature. I would recommend doing the outer tubing method due to its simplicity.

I have about 70K miles on my stator since performing this mod and it's still shiny clean.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelc5 View Post
NM750, that blackening is symptomatic of what kills the stator. There is little, if any, oil which gets to the stator to cool it, so heat builds up and bakes the coating until it fails, eventually causing shorts and open windings. Did you see that on your original stator?

I wrote up a modification which addresses this and by washing the stator in oil - you can read about it here and here, and there are pictures in my signature. I would recommend doing the outer tubing method due to its simplicity.

I have about 70K miles on my stator since performing this mod and it's still shiny clean.
Were have you been the past four years man... A few people have been trying to reach you about your mod.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 AM

Garage
ALIENS had him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement