Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Starter switch reassembly

Fergy, I didn't see where I could post pics in the PMs so here's evidence of the results of my undaunted exuberance for all to see. The starter switch sits in the lower portion of the RH control unit and appears to be comprised of : the little "Start" button; a small copper spring (which I have affixed to the starter button with red threadlock); a connecting plate, where it appears that the button in the middle is contacted by the button on the starter switch (spring in between them); and all of it is held in place by a elongated, u-shaped piece of metal that is screwed onto the rh controls.

Here's what I'm thinking - though I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions: don't be fooled by appearances, this is a ship in a bottle. There seems to be no way to get the button into the recess of the u-plate, then the plate into the control unit, all while trying to attach the plate to the spring. Soooooo, I think I'm gonna affix the spring qua starter button to the plate tonight, creating one unit out of that. Then, I can position the u-plate while maniupulating the button-spring-connecting plate contraption into place. Once everything is where it's supposed to be, I can cinch it all down with the screw. I can't really see why the screw should ever be floating around loosely in there, but perhaps there is logic that has escaped me?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Why aren't we riding?

Cindy, someone is parting out a 750 on ebay, Has the whole throtlle assembly with starter switch. Was at 19.99 when I looked.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

"Priscilla" aka "The other woman"
1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 PM

You're right Cindy! I took out the screw and figured the whole unit would explode out of there and it stays in, and I didn't pry too hard, afraid of breaking something, so I'm still not sure how it goes together. I'll take it with me in the morning in case I'm shipping it to you, but also to study some more. I shot some photos of the thing assembled, but I know that won't help you. It's bran new by the way, so if you need it, I know it is a good one. I knew it looked in good shape, but didn't realized it was new. I'll check back tomorrow.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey!
Why doncha hang onto that one for a few days. This debacle is actually on my '92, so I can cannibalize the unit of off Orleans if necessary. And I did see the one on eBay, so can always buy that one if someone else needs yours.

This a.m. I checked, and the threadlock holding the starter button and spring together also seemed to be holding that combo to the connecting plate. So as long as that whole mess doesn't fall apart, i think I can get it back together. That said, you had mentioned in a PM somehow wiring around the starter button? I may need you to tell me how to jump this baby if I get out someplace and pieces come flying off.

C
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Hotwiring is really simple. Trace the two wires that go to the start button, and find them in the harness. You'll have to cut a slit in the harness cover to access them. Strip a tiny bit off of each wire coating, staggered so they can't touch, take a piece of wire about 5 inches long and strip both ends. You can wrap one stripped end around the bare spot on one wire, and with the key turned on, touch the bare spot on the other wire with the other end of your 5 inch wire and you'll crank the starter. It might spark a little, but it won't melt anything. It's a little tricky to do, since you need one hand holding in the clutch and the other on the throttle, but it works. I have a little velcro strap that I wrapped around the left grip with the clutch squeezed so I could use my other hand to jump the wires while blipping the throttle when it was warm. Otherwise, I just used the choke and it would fire right up with no throttle cold.

Once I got my replacement parts from another control and installed them, I just taped up each wire I had stripped and then taped up the harness with good black electrical tape. Of course, this was on my 80 kz so I wasn't as worried about cosmetics!

I bought that control in with me and looking at it, it has to be able to be installed some way. It must just take a special procedure. I might have time a little later to fiddle with it more, but you'll probably have yours together soon. Offer still stands!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

That's great advice for getting out of a jam, thanks! I can see me getting the starter back together, and then ending up in town with the thing having sprung apart.

I'm telling you ...ship in a bottle....

I'll try to put it back together this evening and pm you one way or the other. The one thing really puzzling me is that on the contact plate, there are three tabs of various sizes - one I think goes into the top of the u-plate and is held in place there; but I'm not for sure about that. In short, somehow the contact plate has to be held at a constant distance from the starter button (spring'll do that), but also held firmly so that when the button is pushed, the only movement is the button towards the contact plate. I can't see how else to cinch down that plate.

C
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Cindy, here's a couple pics. Top shows the slot in the top piece with the large tab of the contact plate held in place.

Then the bottom of the unit showing the small tab being held in place by the slot in the bottom of the plastic housing.

This may not help you, but it never hurts to try!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM

The little tab on the plate should line up with a slot in the control housing. That is what is going to keep it in place.

I took mine apart over the winter. Unfortunetly I didn't take pictures and it was long enough ago that I can't walk you through by memory.

If you still can't get it together I would be willing to assemble it for you if you wanted to ship all the parts to me.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
88 Vulcan 750 with 40K+ miles
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, folks! I appreciate all the help - Jamie, what possessed you to disassemble yours? Just curious, 'cause if I had a do-over on this one...

Fergy, your pics are very helpful, thank you. Now I have to see if I glued the starter button-spring combo on the right way...

C
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 PM

OK, bit the bullet and removed it. Here's how it goes together. With the spring between the button and contact plate, big end toward the contact plate, the plate snaps into the metal retainer via the slots shown in the above photos. I pulled extra wire through the hole to give me room to remove this and put it back together.

Now I'll try my hand at reinstalling it! Sorry for the blurry photo, but my camera is at home and I borrowed one here at work...

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement