I'm thinking it's electrical but how do you know? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking it's electrical but how do you know?

Ok rebuilt the engine made sure all gears lined up with punch marks etc...
Put all the wires back on and in another thread mentioned having to buy a new starter relay. (Not sure now that was the problem)
The starter motor isn't turning over, read in another thread that the starter coil could be a problem. At one point I had a dumby light connected to ground and the starter motor and it lit up very dimly. Can't repeat that now -may be cause battery is very low. I could jump it with the car and try it again.
Not sure how to use the ohms meter to check this.
I am truely stumped. There is no motor turn over, cause the starter motor isn't turning the motor over. Any ideas?

BeeSea
1986 750 Vulcan
Coastered
Relocate R/R to side cover
Re-did the engine
from the case up.(And it runs)
YOU CAN TOO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

double check neutral switch, clutch switch, ign switch, and run/stop switch
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Ndr

Firstly, charge up your battery to be sure that is topped off and fully charged.

Make sure your wires are all clean and securely connected.
Try jumping the terminals on the starter relay with a large screwdriver to see if the starter motor will spin up, or possibly even take the positive wire from a set of jumper cables from the battery straight to the starter. If you have a full battery, and the starter is working, this will spin up the starter quite nicely.

Be sure the engine ground wire is on nice and tight.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

double check neutral switch, clutch switch, ign switch, and run/stop switch

OK all ok except neutral switch is slightly loose on the nob on the bottom of the bike. But the neutral light comes on real strong, and it is in neutral I can roll the bike.
Will try jumping the starter tonight. Thanks

BeeSea
1986 750 Vulcan
Coastered
Re-did the engine
YOU CAN TOO!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Well the battery won't charge completely so I guess I will need to get a new battery, this project will be on hold for a little while....

BeeSea
1986 750 Vulcan
Coastered
Re-did the engine
YOU CAN TOO!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

OK No new battery yet...but I read on here you could take your car battery, (Car not running) and hook to the starter, grounded to the bike to test the starter. Well when I did this with the key on it sparked. Now I had the battery positive unhooked but not the ground on the battery, hopefully that is not why it sparked. when I tried pushing in the start button it smoked and sparked...I checked the ground and the neutral switch. The stator wires are good and clean. I did relocate my r/r to the side and it is not grounded to the bike. Could that have caused the spark at the starter? I relocated it to the side cover which is some form of plastic. Help! I don't know why it sparked...

BeeSea
1986 750 Vulcan
Coastered
Re-did the engine
YOU CAN TOO!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

where was the spark at cause it sounds like you didnt have the jumper cables hooked up right

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM

...unless his solenoid fried.....that could cause sparks, eh ?....actually....he should remove his right side cover, ground the (-), then tap the (+) on the solenoid ?...No ?...

I hate Jap and British electrics.......Jap are too complicated, and Brit are backwards....bring back the magneto and outlaw safety switches !!!!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

OK wires were: Positive to positive on car neg to neg on car.
then had negative grounded to frame of bike and touched starter. The touch to starter sparked.
Then I tried hooking up the bike first. Ground to frame and positive on starter, then negative to car battery and just touched the positive on the car, that is when I got smoke from frame and starter.
The "solenoid fried" what solenoid? To my understanding that is the thing the spark plugs are hooked to and there are two of them? (One in front of the bike and one in back of the bike) Or were you talking about the starter?
In all my reading I hadn't read anyone getting sparks from touching these items? was the starter suppose to be unhooked? Cause I didn't take the wire off the starter that goes to the bike. Just hooked up cables.

BeeSea
1986 750 Vulcan
Coastered
Re-did the engine
YOU CAN TOO!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeSea View Post
OK wires were: Positive to positive on car neg to neg on car.
then had negative grounded to frame of bike and touched starter. The touch to starter sparked.
Then I tried hooking up the bike first. Ground to frame and positive on starter, then negative to car battery and just touched the positive on the car, that is when I got smoke from frame and starter.
The "solenoid fried" what solenoid? To my understanding that is the thing the spark plugs are hooked to and there are two of them? (One in front of the bike and one in back of the bike) Or were you talking about the starter?
In all my reading I hadn't read anyone getting sparks from touching these items? was the starter suppose to be unhooked? Cause I didn't take the wire off the starter that goes to the bike. Just hooked up cables.
Letting smoke out is a bad sign.You probably just caused yourself some new problems. The solenoid he spoke of is the starter relay.,your positive cable on the battery should go to one side and the other side of id goes to the starter itself.

If you want to test the starter with a car battery isolate it by removing the starter cable at the starter. clamp the ground on the starter body and then touch the positive jumper lead to the bolt you just took off the starter.if it sparks ,it is normal for it to spark a little but if you hold it on there for a second it should crank the engine over,if not .The starter is bad or it is bound up,or the engine is seized up some way.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement