Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ground wire for taillight?

I got pulled over by the police Monday evening for what the young officer said was "no taillight." I had a light on my pre-ride check; and when he said why he'd stopped me, I turned the key and had a light. I started to feel like that Nationwide commercial: "On, off; on, off; Are you looking? On, off; on..." It came on every time. He counseled me - the second born in what my sib and I refer to as The Safety Family - on how dangerous it is to ride without a taillight. I listened politely, wearing my illuminite overpants, a Class 3 reflective vest, and a reflective jacket...and then pointed out that, by all appearances, I am not one to be a scofflaw around safety issues. He wrote me a warning anyway, but with no repair order, "because the light's not broken now."

Soooo, last night I checked the wiring harness to the taillight - connectors were clean, pins looked good, but I put some dielectric grease in anyway; checked the reserve lighting device. All looked good there, but greased the connectors; checked both bulbs - both were fine, but I put bulb grease on 'em and reinserted them. "On, off; on, off..." Worked every time.

What am I missing? If I'm reading the wiring diagram properly, the B/Y wire comes off the reserve lighting device and keeps the taillights on when the ignition is in the "on" position; but that looks fine. So I'm thinking maybe a short to ground...but where is the ground located for that?

It's possible that my Class 3 vest was so bright that the officer was blinded by it and thus unable to see that I actually did have a working taillight ; but I'm rather thinking a short somewhere.

Anybody have suggestions?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
"ya can't live forever"

I had a similar siruation Monday night. "no cops though" My buddy was riding behind me and at a light told me my tail light was out. So I went and bought new bulbs only to find out that the old ones were good. Turns out it was the ignition switch, just needed to jiggle it and the light went out. So I guess it's time to redo the innards again. Check it out and see if that isn't your problem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Sounds like you had a nice run-in with your local "Barney Fife" version of law enforcement.

Hey, every little berg has one, apparently.

I think it's amusing that you got this long-winded safety sermon while you're dressed to the hilt with safety gear!!!

Let's hear it for the local fuzz preachin' to the choir.....

BTW: what color(s) do you have on your class 3 vest (educate me)???

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Sounds like you had a nice run-in with your local "Barney Fife" version of law enforcement.

Hey, every little berg has one, apparently.

I think it's amusing that you got this long-winded safety sermon while you're dressed to the hilt with safety gear!!!

Let's hear it for the local fuzz preachin' to the choir.....

BTW: what color(s) do you have on your class 3 vest (educate me)???
It was pretty funny. Plus, I'm in my early 40s, so to get a talkin' to by this young man was even funnier. "Yes, son, I understand the dangers..."

I may have this wrong, but I think the classification of the safety gear has to do with the brightness of the color and the width of the reflective stripes. Basically, I could work on a road crew at midnight, and if someone hit me, it's cause they were blinded by my vest. It's an obscenely bright orange, with 1-inch wide silver reflective stripes all the way around - actually, it's not really a vest, but a short-sleeve shirt thing, so there are stripes all around the bottom of the shirt sleeves as well. And my illuminite pants, the illuminite is on the side panels so that I can be visible when I'm in some driver's crosshairs.

I have to admit that getting stopped at nearly 11, when I'm out there alone, was just a tad unnerving. Fortunately I was within the berg limits so there were street lights and such; but if he'd pulled me over 1/2 mile further along, I'd have been in a pickle. No street lights, no houses...

Artman, thanks for the tip on the ignition switch, too. I'll pull that apart tonight and see whazzup (tho', unlike in Orleans, I expect to find no bugs mucking up the works!).

C
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the vest/shirt thing I had on - it's really hard to miss. I bought it from a guy at work who had purchased it for bicycling, but found it annoying. $28.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2007 at 09:31 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i wish my rain gear lit up like that... i may have to find some high reflective tape and put it on there

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I have found some High reflective taps and put it on my helmet's.
Works good, when you turn your head it really picks up for the people in the other lanes.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Wow....!

I can't believe you were wearing that (plus other visibility stuff), and you still got a sermon!!!

He was/is definitely a "Barney Fife".

Anyway, glad to learn that you are taking safety very seriously--an excellent habit to keep!!!

In low-light or rainy (over my Frog Toggs) conditions, I wear this (it is really loud):

http://ridesafer.com/store/large/fpe...is_Orange.html

It also has 2 front interior pockets--both large enough to hold a can of Sea Foam....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

That's a nice vest! I can't carry Seafoam or even a Pepsi in mine...

C
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
I had a similar siruation Monday night. "no cops though" My buddy was riding behind me and at a light told me my tail light was out. So I went and bought new bulbs only to find out that the old ones were good. Turns out it was the ignition switch, just needed to jiggle it and the light went out. So I guess it's time to redo the innards again. Check it out and see if that isn't your problem.
Okay, I've checked my innards (everything looked okay in the right controls), but now I can't put them back together. Artman - is there a secret for getting that spring in between the starter button and the contact plate? And just because the spring fell out once I unscrewed it, does the small end of the spring stay with the starter button side?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement