Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Why aren't we riding?

Another Stator job...

Well, I took a pic of my Angel before I started. Could be the last time I see her whole. Then I got started. took the tins off first. Lurch inspired me to finally get a paint job. A friend of mine does paint work. I'm going to make a few suggestions and let him have artistic license with it.

Then is was into the real work. I've gotten as far as getting the carbs off. Had to run some errands this morning. After I finish looking over the forums it's back out into the fantastic weather to see how much further I can get in the stator replacement. I guess I should order a TOC mod.

Thanks for the confidence to try this people. I'll be checking in at the end of the day.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

"Priscilla" aka "The other woman"
1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

With all the help available here and at the Y! group, I don't think you'll have any problems (aside from the seemingly mandatory cursing now & then, which happens with most any project of this magnitude)

Take your time, be sure to seperate/mark all the nuts & bolts, and you'll be riding again before ya know it !!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
With all the help available here and at the Y! group, I don't think you'll have any problems (aside from the seemingly mandatory cursing now & then, which happens with most any project of this magnitude)

Take your time, be sure to seperate/mark all the nuts & bolts, and you'll be riding again before ya know it !!!
And if you have a digital camera, take pics as you disassemble. Can't tell ya how many times I've gone back to my files to see what went where before I started messin' with it.

C

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Why aren't we riding?

Well day 2. Going slowly. All prepped. Just need to drop the engine now. Only hitch has been one bolt on the right side exhaust snapped. Also one bolt on the exhaust cover stripped. Angel looks down right anorexic. The other thing. The front spline was dry and rusty!!! Had to use the handle of a screwdriver to tap it off the front bezel gear housing. Used some of the lube my local bike shop provided me to grease it up. I've also been putting a bead of dielectric grease on all the fittings as I disconnect them

Well here goes an attempt at downloading pics...

Before and after the diet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeforeSm.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day2Sm.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	303  

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 09:38 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Looks like ya got things going mostly your way A snapped exhaust bolt could easily be expected on a bike that age. Good to hear it was only one.
Before ya start working on getting the motor out, it'd be a good idea to secure the center stand to the forks with a tiedown/ratchet strap or even some rope, to eliminate the chance of the bike moving forward and down from the stand (they certainly come down alot easier than going up)
The motor falling on a leg is nothing compared to a bike falling on the whole body !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Why aren't we riding?

Yeah actually I had a cargo strap from the stand to the engine guard. But since it is removed now! I will have to put it on the forks. Once the engine is out seems to me there really isn't much weight left on the bike. I can practically lift it off the trailer now.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

dont mean to hi-jack- but thats an excellent looking bike! where did you get that seat? i want it! heh.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Why aren't we riding?

The saddle is a Corbin. It was on the bike when I bought it. The extended back rest is a Kawasaki part. I had to modify it a little to get it to work with the Corbin saddle. The saddle is firmer than the stock, and lowers the height by an inch or so. I'm happy with it. In fact I may end up looking for another one if I wear this one out.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Why aren't we riding?

Yesterday's work.

Pulled the sub frame and through bolts. At this point I decided it would be prudent to have someone else around for a bit of assistance. Call a few friends and found one with time and willing to make the hour drive to my house.
In the mean time I pulled the wheel and checked the rear spline. Broke a 17mm wrench in the process. Splines looked fine, cleaned, re-lubed, and reinstalled the rear wheel. Once my friend arrived we wiggled the engine out, after removing the coolant reservoir. I replaced the stator. Looked like a few windings were fried. (Pics to come) Wiggled the engine back in place. Started the grill. Noticed we forgot to put the expansion chamber back in! Wiggled the engine out enough to squeeze the chamber back in. Made sausages and had a great dinner. Thanked my friend incessantly before he left for home. Then reinstalled the reservoir. Cleaned up my mess and sent a PM to DMAG for his bike! An eventful day.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Why aren't we riding?

Today I reinstalled the mounting bolts, subframe, front bezel gear housing, as I was about to install the brake pedal assembly, UPS pulls up with Jardine forwards from Brion B. Good deal man!!! He couldn't have planned it better. After having soaked the snapped post on the right side exhaust manifold overnight, I cut flats on iether side with my dremel. Took vise grips and a hammer tapped the bolt as I tried turning it out. No luck. So its off to the local shop to see if they can extract it tomorrow. Then back to putting my angel back together.

Temporary hickup.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement