Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Ndr

Complete lack of power

So I went to jump on the bike tonight to go to work. Started her up just fine. Got all my gear on and ready to go. Jumped on the bike and started rolling down the street. I get about three blocks away and the power cuts right out no warning. Volt meter dead, no lights, nothing. pop it into 2nd and let out the clutch to see if just MAYBE it might jump to life, nope, kinda expected it that though. Pulled in the clutch again to keep my momentum going and take the next 2 lefts to get to my back ally. Had a nice little push back up the hill to get her home and begrudgingly took the car to work instead.

Now, just waiting until I can get home to have a look and see what the fook is wrong with the bike. Part of me hops that its just a blown fuse, though with that comes the potential for some other problem to cause the blown fuse. Then again, I have no idea how old that fuse was. (assuming its the main fuse that blew)
I'm reluctant to think that its the stator or R/R since the connection to the battery would at least allow the light to still come on.

Perhaps a loose connection to the battery terminals. Or the maybe one of the positive or ground wire bullet connecters came lose. That would most certainly cause a full power loss.

Just hoping for an easy fix

SMH

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

Last edited by Ndr; 07-30-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
So I went to jump on the bike tonight to go to work. Started her up just fine. Got all my gear on and ready to go. Jumped on the bike and started rolling down the street. I get about three blocks away and the power cuts right out no warning. Volt meter dead, no lights, nothing. pop it into 2nd and let out the clutch to see if just MAYBE it might jump to life, nope, kinda expected it that though. Pulled in the clutch again to keep my momentum going and take the next 2 lefts to get to my back ally. Had a nice little push back up the hill to get her home and begrudgingly took the car to work instead.

Now, just waiting until I can get home to have a look and see what the fook is wrong with the bike. Part of me hops that its just a blown fuse, though with that comes the potential for some other problem to cause the blown fuse. Then again, I have no idea how old that fuse was. (assuming its the main fuse that blew)
I'm reluctant to think that its the stator or R/R since the connection to the battery would at least allow the light to still come on.

Perhaps a loose connection to the battery terminals. Or the maybe one of the positive or ground wire bullet connecters came lose. That would most certainly cause a full power loss.

SMH
Check your ignition switch. Worn switches tend to exhibit phantom power loss. If it does again, wiggle the key and see if power returns.

Good luck

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post

I'm reluctant to think that its the stator of R/R since the connection to the battery would at least allow the light to still come on.

SMH

My first thought would be your Ignition Switch. Wiggle the key/play with the switch. If no change, check the fuses.

Go purchase a box of fuses.

Fuses do not weaken with age. If a fuse blows, it is doing the job it was designed for....you have an electrical problem.
After replacing fuse, check ignition switch again.
You can replace the fuse with a fuse of the same value. If it blows, electrical problem still exists.
Sometimes, replace the fuse...it does NOT blow....you think, there is no problem. Wrong ! That intermittent problem will bite again.
If that is the case, try turning the bars L to R - - R to L...attempt to cause the next fuse to blow (again).
......Often times electrical issues are discovered in the neck...(fwd the fuel tank).

hope this helps

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 07-30-2013 at 02:58 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Check your ignition switch. Worn switches tend to exhibit phantom power loss. If it does again, wiggle the key and see if power returns.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
My first thought would be your Ignition Switch. Wiggle the key/play with the switch. If no change, check the fuses.

Go purchase a box of fuses.

Fuses do not weaken with age. If a fuse blows, it is doing the job it was designed for....you have an electrical problem.
After replacing fuse, check ignition switch again.
You can replace the fuse with a fuse of the same value. If it blows, electrical problem still exists.
Sometimes, replace the fuse...it does NOT blow....you think, there is no problem. Wrong ! That intermittent problem will bite again.
If that is the case, try turning the bars L to R - - R to L...attempt to cause the next fuse to blow (again).
......Often times electrical issues are discovered in the neck...(fwd the fuel tank).

hope this helps

Yeah, forgot to mention I flipped the key on and off while rolling down the street, and gave it more of a wiggle after I stopped. Obviously to no avail.

I've got spare fuses in their respective slots in the fuse panel, plus more extras tucked into the toolbox, I just didn't have the time to mess with it tonight.

I'll certainly be looking at the ignition switch and harness as suggested.

Thanks for the tips.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Ndr

Soooo...

appears that the issue is with the battery. From what I can gather as seen in the photo below, the battery must have shifted and caused the positive terminal to short out. When I went out this morning to check it with my multimeter, I couldn't get any reading at all. tested on my other vehicles to be sure that the meter was working fine. Looked closer at the battery saw the melted red plastic safety cover. disconnected the terminal and wrapped the electrical tap as it is on there now and pushed the red plastic back up to help hold the tap on.

Until now, I had never felt the need to get a replacement battery strap to hold the battery down.

With the battery properly seated and terminal reattached, I got a reading of a whopping 6V. Hopefully it'll take and hold a charge. Battery is practically brand new, bought it over a month ago. If not, should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Soooo...

appears that the issue is with the battery
Glad you found the issue with your battery cable.
With any luck, your battery will charge up ok.

(hopefully your R/R is still ok)

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 07-30-2013 at 11:24 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
Glad you found the issue with your battery cable.
With any luck, your battery will charge up ok.

(hopefully your R/R is still ok)

Yeah, I hope so too, I'll be giving a full system check once the battery tops off, or I get a known good one in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement