Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Weird charging occurence

OK...was going to get Priscilla out and about today since it was nice and sunny.

I hooked the charger up to the battery and when I turned the charger on, the starter engaged.

Huh?

I turned the switch to "Off" and took the key out of the ignition and it still tried to engage the starter when I turned the charger on.

What the? I can't even charge my battery now without it trying to fry my starter! Anyone ever had this happen?

I had just charged/started the bike two weeks earlier with no problems...not sure why this would suddenly arise.

Thanks!

Anthony
1985 VN700 (Priscilla) Sold
-------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAG View Post
OK...was going to get Priscilla out and about today since it was nice and sunny.
I hooked the charger up to the battery and when I turned the charger on, the starter engaged.
Huh?
I turned the switch to "Off" and took the key out of the ignition and it still tried to engage the starter when I turned the charger on.
What the? I can't even charge my battery now without it trying to fry my starter! Anyone ever had this happen?
I had just charged/started the bike two weeks earlier with no problems...not sure why this would suddenly arise.
Thanks!
Sounds to me like you have your relay somehow touching your battery lead or a positive wire that is not switched. I would venture to bet that your battery is stone cold dead.

Find your starter relay and look it over. Also, run your charger pigtail and see if it is hooked up to something wierd.

Where do you store your bike? I have heard of mice eating the harnesses on stored motorcycles causing all kinds of wires to touch. Bet you are going to find something has happened that will just piss you off...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM

i had mice eat the wires on my lawn tractor once.

i hate those mieces to pieces J

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Sounds to me like you have your relay somehow touching your battery lead or a positive wire that is not switched. I would venture to bet that your battery is stone cold dead.

Find your starter relay and look it over. Also, run your charger pigtail and see if it is hooked up to something wierd.

Where do you store your bike? I have heard of mice eating the harnesses on stored motorcycles causing all kinds of wires to touch. Bet you are going to find something has happened that will just piss you off...
D'oh....I guess I better go start looking Priscilla over.

Thanks.

Anthony
Helpful Links -->>
Search | Vulcan Verses | VN750 Gallery | VN750 Items on Ebay | Link to VN750.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by free wheel-e View Post
i had mice eat the wires on my lawn tractor once.

i hate those mieces to pieces J

Funny story there... I'm sure that Chad has had this happen to him when he was a DJ.

My parents were into entertainment when I was a growing up. They had an agency and were quite sucessful at it. Having bands like Styx and Cheap Trick as well as comics like Jay Leno and Emo Phillips around the house were common occurance as my Dad representated all of them when they were starting out. Saying that helps put this in perspective.

When I was around 17, I was transporting some PA equipment for my Mom for a show that she was putting on. I was in my Pontiac Phoenix (real POS too) and had the hatch back full of amps and speakers. It was a small show, so only four speakers were required. If I remember correctly, the talent was Henny Youngman or Wes Harrison.

Well anyway... I set up the equipment and enjoyed the show. With about 5 minutes remaining, the amp started putting out a smell of burned fur and flesh and there was a loud pop followed by a hum on the speakers. I swapped the mic's to another channel and everything went to plan with the talent finishing his show. By this time, there was a stench coming from the amp and I started breaking down everything. As I peered into the amp through one of the ventelation gaps I saw something move. Good thing that this particular amp had that hokey 80's era glitter blue vinyl padding because I dropped that sucker when I saw a snout with whiskers poke out near my hand. I get a trash bag from the kitchen and bag the amp and put the equipment in the car. As I'm slamming the hatch I see a mouse run across the folded down seat and I opened up all the doors on the car and proceeded to sit a distance away hoping that the creatures in the car would get out so I could drive home. That drive was made with me almost standing up by the way...

The next day I had the amp at an electronics repair shop where the owner showed me the nest that he pulled out, complete with live baby mice and one dead and very electrocuted adult mouse. He had to rewire almost the whole thing. He told me that he sees this a lot and the mice are attracted to the confined spaces and will eat the wiring as the insulation tastes pretty good to them. From that day forward, we always bagged our equipment to avoid critters...

Yeah, I hate mieces to pieces too...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Have not had that happen with my DJ Equipmant but have had it happen alot in cars. I have had to replace entire engine harnesses over $2000 in parts due to mice (warente will not cover this) They will hide anywhere and eat anything.

DMAG the relay is under the cover on the right side, about 2 intchet around and 3 intches long. It is like a Ford solonoid.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Hmm, I could see a stuck solenoid causing that, but to also do it with they key removed is weird.
Maybe a combo of solenoid and ignition switch?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

I just rebuilt the ignition switch last year too...I can't see it being that (??)

Ugh....its going to have to wait until the weekend now anyhow....work work work work work work....

Anthony
Helpful Links -->>
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAG View Post
I just rebuilt the ignition switch last year too...I can't see it being that (??)

Ugh....its going to have to wait until the weekend now anyhow....work work work work work work....

When last year did you rebuild it? I'm not trying to shed doubt on your work, but maybe parts?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
If you the solonoid is stuck will spin the starter with the key out. I tried jumping my bike when I first got it, hooked up to the wrong side of the solonoid and it spun the starter.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement