Half the Dash Lights Are Out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Half the Dash Lights Are Out

Now that I've got the engine working fine, it's time to tackle the innumerable annoying electrical issues that are cropping up on Orleans. And we all know that that's my forte.

At the moment, I have the following lights: tach, speedo, fuel gauge, turn signals, and oil. I seem to have lost the neutral, headlamp, and bright. I tried to follow the wiring diagram in Clymers - made some nice, pretty-colored lines in tracing the wires to and from various locations, but I can't see where those three (neutral, headlamp, bright) are connected. Before I start tearing things apart again...anybody have a suggestion as to where to start? I know there's a small wiring harness for the "dash" lights and such, so I suspect there's a loose linkage where that harness goes into the main harness (under the front ignition coil). But what other things should I look for to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Stranger Than Fiction

Send a message via MSN to cmanningjr
Take this for what it's worth. Start with the obvious little things. (Bulbs, sockets) Then trace the wires as far as you can to the connectors. When you get to the connections pull them apart and make sure they're clean and tight. Sometimes small cracks are enough to make them not work. Have a decent multimeter with you. And (Don't take offence) know how it works. You'll need to know how to test for voltage as well as Ohm the wires out. Good luck and if you have any questions, you got my email........

'92 Vn750

Last edited by cmanningjr; 03-09-2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: I can't spell in the mornings
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

For the neutral light, will the bike try to start when in gear (and the clutch NOT pulled in)?
If yes, could be the neutral safety switch is bad.

Only the headlamp & bright have a common circuit (besides ground), that being the reserve lighting unit. But headlamp indicator should only be lit when hi or lo beam is burned out. Does the headlight itself work?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the headlight works fine - and so does the bright. But the "bright" (blue) indicator on the dash isn't lighting up, either.

Good points, Carl, about knowing what I'm doing before I start doing. I did find a good book on motorcycle electronics, and am reading that with the Clymers nearby. I'll check the connections between the harnesses first, and then start looking at bulbs.

C
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Stranger Than Fiction

Send a message via MSN to cmanningjr
I wasn't trying to discredit you or anything, Vehicle electronics are a totally diffrent monkey. I've been in the electrical field for 20+ years now.(Residential, Commercial and Utility for the last 11) I can do anything on these systems but when it comes to automotive, they make me crazy.

What I meant by knowing how to use your multi-meter is that sometimes the fancy digital idiot proof ones (Excuse the term) are more complicated than the simple $20 analog ones you get at any hardware store. Just know what you are setting it on for each test you do.. ie. Ohm, Testing Voltage ect....

You can do it.....I got faith......... ;-)

'92 Vn750

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanningjr View Post
I wasn't trying to discredit you or anything, Vehicle electronics are a totally diffrent monkey. I've been in the electrical field for 20+ years now.(Residential, Commercial and Utility for the last 11) I can do anything on these systems but when it comes to automotive, they make me crazy.

What I meant by knowing how to use your multi-meter is that sometimes the fancy digital idiot proof ones (Excuse the term) are more complicated than the simple $20 analog ones you get at any hardware store. Just know what you are setting it on for each test you do.. ie. Ohm, Testing Voltage ect....

You can do it.....I got faith......... ;-)
HA! No offense taken at all, 'cause apparently you never saw my earlier posts about "What the hey is .OL?" I had a fancy-pants digital and it was messing with my head, so I bought an analog one and suddenly it all made sense. But I'm still a rookie when it comes to the wiring and thinking through all the connections - I guess the good news is that since I know that I know nothing, I'm not averse to reading and taking advice!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement