Do I need a new R/R and/or stator? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Do I need a new R/R and/or stator?

I am brand new to the site and I've only owned my bike for a few weeks now, so forgive me if I am beating a very dead horse here...

My '93 is VERY hard to start. I was getting backfires, etc. in the process of starting so I figured originally that I might be having trouble with my carbs. Well, I tore them apart, cleaned everything up (it actually looked pretty good), and replaced my float valves (whether they needed them or not). Unfortunately, I am still have trouble starting. The carb rebuild seems to have improved my idle and minimized the backfiring, but the darn thing still cranks and cranks.

I am now suspecting the R/R & strator as being my primary culprits. I have heard that problems with these will cause the bike to not start when hot...mine won't. Even if it fires right up when cold...it will never start when it's been running.

Does this sound familiar? I have read some of the posts here that allude to the conditions I am experiencing, but I want to cover all of my bases BEFORE I have to tear this bike apart again and spend $200-$300 on new parts.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to IASKRU12
Re: Do I need a new R/R and/or stator?

First Question - Do you have a maintenance free battery? My bike started much better after getting a MF battery. I held off getting one for several months and wished I had gotten it right after I bought the bike like everyone here suggests.

Mike
Bellevue, WA
'96 Vulcan 750 'Hanchi'
VROC#11903
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:01 PM

I had the same problem with hot starts until I got the MF battery. It was so bad I would dread stopping for gas on a hot day 'cause I knew it was gonna be a PITA getting it restarted. The MF battery (Westco) put an end to all that.

I think the OEM battery is just too weak - it's a very cheap battery. Its terminal voltage drops too low when the bike is hot and you hit the start button, so you get a very weak spark. If the bike starts fine when it's cold and the battery is not going dead your charging system is fine. You can check to be sure with a voltmeter. Take the seat off and start the bike. Put the meter across the battery teminals and rev the engine up to about 3k. You should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts on your meter, usually dropping to 12.5 or so at idle. The readings will be a little higher when the bike is cold.

After some trial and error I also found that my 750 would start much better hot if I opened the throttle a bit when cranking. Not to "goose" it...just crack the throttle and hold it just before you hit the start button. Mine would always fire right up (with the MF battery).

MokiMan
VROC #9014
GAVROC #65
TNVROC #41(H)
Rolling Blunder #144

'04 VN1600 Big Red http://tinyurl.com/34onh
Rome, GA Southern Cruisers: http://home.earthlink.net/~romancruiser/

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

NO...I have a problem with hard starts when it is cold, too, but it DOES eventually start.

When it's hot...forget it...Also, it's like 100 degrees here every day so that doesn't take long.

Right now, I have a brand new battery in there that is obviously not doing the trick. I will try to track down a MF battery before doing anything else.

Thanks for the help...I'll keep you posted!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Forum Faciliator

Can you describe the procedure you use when you start it cold? We might be able to suggest a change that might help.

Also, do you have a battery charger? If so, you might want to top of the battery charge first, and then see if that helps or not.

RB

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:55 PM

Check all of your ground wires for good contact and connection. I just buffed all the paint away from all my ground points before leaving to KY Lake. No electrical probs in the entire 1512 miles.

Good Luck
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron
Can you describe the procedure you use when you start it cold? We might be able to suggest a change that might help.

Also, do you have a battery charger? If so, you might want to top of the battery charge first, and then see if that helps or not.

RB
Sure thing! For cold starts, I tyically do the following: turn on the fuel, stand up the bike, set the choke about 3/4 on (it seems to work best at that position), switch the engine on, and fire away. As soon as it catches, I will usually blip the throttle to help it along. After that, it runs relatively smoothly.

I feel like I have tried just about everything as far as procedures go. This will usually get the bike to fire within 2 to 5 turns of the starter. At times, I will have to crank it about 10 to get it to fire. I've only had it NOT start at all when it is already warm.

Yes, I have a battery charger. I have used it several times with this bike! With all the starting trouble I've had, I've worn it down a time or two. It does start better with a fresh charge, but it definitely does not solve the problem.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
Check all of your ground wires for good contact and connection. I just buffed all the paint away from all my ground points before leaving to KY Lake. No electrical probs in the entire 1512 miles.

Good Luck
Can you give me some insight as to the grounding points you buffed? I can only seem to recall a ground wire that is connected to my left air cleaner bracket. Hmmm...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop
Can you give me some insight as to the grounding points you buffed? I can only seem to recall a ground wire that is connected to my left air cleaner bracket. Hmmm...

I can give you three, there may be more. There is a ground coming off the negative post/cable on the battery. This attaches to the frame. On the right side under the side cover are two more. They attach to the frame.

Check out Gypsy's site, she has info on the grounding issues.

http://ourworld.cs.com/Moonmist115/vulcanwebsite.html

This is just a start.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and link. I think I will try to work on those this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement