Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jarrettsville, MD
Re: Problem with new horns
I used a relay from Radio Shack. I don't have the part number as I threw away the packaging after I did the install. I believe it was 10 or 20 or 30 amp automotive type, less than $5.00. It has a mounting tab which I used to mount under the bottom bolt of the wire loom that is under the front of the left side steering head cover. It is a snug fit, but it will go. I had to enlarge the mounting hole in the relay mounting tab, but it is plastic, so not difficult to do. I have a tapered reamer that works well for this kind of stuff. The right horn wires are a bit longer that the left horn wires, so I used those the operate the relay. I grounded one side of the horns to the frame, and ran a 16 gauge wire from the 12 volt source in the headlight shell to the source side of the relay, and 2, 16 gauge wires from the load side of the relay to the horns. They are noticably louder than when using the horn switch to operate them. Took a couple of hours to get it all done.
Like you, I fed the wires to the horns through holes drilled in the side covers, and a bit of universal black touch up paint on the exposed connections makes them hardly noticable.
Hope this helps.
Dennis in Maryland
AKA - The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'