Fan Issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Fan Issues

I've been having odd issues with the fan not turning on. I get it to work and think its fine then the next day go for a short ride and it doesn't turn on. Today I decided to take the easier route and put in a manual switch. Went to AA and got a metal pre-wired toggle switch 10amp. Tapped in line of the fan sensor to one lead and the other to a black yellow wire that was near by. Turned the bike to the on position and hit the switch and it worked fine. Buttoned up the wires and tried it again still worked. Cleaned up my tools and let the bike warm up sat on the bike to get a feel for the new switch and now nothing it doesn't work. Unplugged the sensor and tried grounding that to the engine and all I hear is a clicking sound near the battery. Ran out of day light to narrow down the sound but I am lost. Any suggestions? Should I have gotten a 20amp switch?

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you have a couple of problems... First you have a faulty Fan Relay inside the fuse box. Secondly you tried to bypass the fan relay, but didn't. you need to wire a positive wire to the toggle switch, then from the switch to the fan. Or, if you want to run your switch on the ground side it would look like this:

The Solid lines are the way you have it wired now, the dotted lines shows where you need to splice and re run your wires.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Prowling Tiger

The fan runs off a relay in the fuse box. Could be it's failing. Someone on here has a reference # you can use to replace it (I think).

Looky there, Sparky to the rescue! LOL!

I only understand what I don't understand.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should start looking for a new JB then. But I would like to add in this switch for the future incase it would happen again I won't be stuck. I'm a bit lost looking at your diagram. The top half of the image is how i have it now. Sensor to switch and switch to ground. But your saying I should go sensor to switch and fan to switch? This will keep the stock setup working correctly when i fix the junction box but also allows me to overide the system?

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
Maybe I should start looking for a new JB then. But I would like to add in this switch for the future incase it would happen again I won't be stuck. I'm a bit lost looking at your diagram. The top half of the image is how i have it now. Sensor to switch and switch to ground. But your saying I should go sensor to switch and fan to switch? This will keep the stock setup working correctly when i fix the junction box but also allows me to overide the system?
You could bypass the entire system and run fan off battery and use a toggle switch.

Slim, isn't the fan relay replaceable?

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM

PArdon my misunderstanding of the diagram, but what does putting a toggle switch in series with the fan sensor do other then disable the fan when the switch is off and enable it like stock when the switch is on? If you simply add the dotted line wire the fan will always be on wont it?

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
PArdon my misunderstanding of the diagram, but what does putting a toggle switch in series with the fan sensor do other then disable the fan when the switch is off and enable it like stock when the switch is on? If you simply add the dotted line wire the fan will always be on wont it?

kenny
Thats what I was thinking Keny.. but that is how the OP said he had it wired... I drew out the diagram to point out the fault...

I was unclear on how to do it the right way, so I made the fallowing diagram. the toggle can either be on the ground or the hot side. I personally would have it go back to the sensor since the sensor is known to work and would automatically turn the fan off and on at the correct time and also wouldn't allow the fan to run if some one forgot to turn off the switch.

Quote:
Slim, isn't the fan relay replaceable?
Not as easy as it sounds... you have to very carefully cut open the JB, unsolder the Relay from the circuit board, find the correct relay and re-solder it. once all that is done you have to jb weld the box back together and make sure there are no leaks.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Ok I am really confused now. This morning I tried splicing in the black/yellow wire of the fan to the toggle switch and it still wouldn't turn on. So right now I have the black/yellow of the fan to the toggle switch and then the other lead of the toggle switch goes to another black yellow wire. I then disconnected the fan ground jumper from the toggle switch and tried touching it with the battery ground and it still didn't turn on. I'm thinking that maybe if the relay is bad I'm not getting any juice on the blue wire?

1992 Vulcan 750.

Last edited by theone2043; 06-26-2013 at 11:47 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM

Garage
Doesn't the relay in the JB switch the ground to the fan on and off?

I think that was how I remember it, but I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Thats what I was thinking Keny.. but that is how the OP said he had it wired... I drew out the diagram to point out the fault...

I was unclear on how to do it the right way, so I made the fallowing diagram. the toggle can either be on the ground or the hot side. I personally would have it go back to the sensor since the sensor is known to work and would automatically turn the fan off and on at the correct time and also wouldn't allow the fan to run if some one forgot to turn off the switch.

Not as easy as it sounds... you have to very carefully cut open the JB, unsolder the Relay from the circuit board, find the correct relay and re-solder it. once all that is done you have to jb weld the box back together and make sure there are no leaks.
with that drawing, you are tying battery ground to battery ground through a switch, sorry to be a PITA but I don't see the benefit.

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement