How much would you pay for a more robust and trouble free charging system - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
How much would you pay for a more robust and trouble free charging system

Ok so i was driving home and thinking.....what is the biggest flaw on our bike.... the charging system. and yes, frankenstator is here, but its nothing but a bandaid.

What if there was a way that the electrical system could be modified to produce more then enough juice (looking in the 60amp range, and no idle issues), and what if it was as reliable as your cars?

how much would it be worth to you.... i havent put this past just being a thought, but i think i may be able to pull it off. it will be a at least 60% revamp of the charging system, and maybe a complete replacement. i am thinking it may sit around the 500-1000 mark. there will need to be quite a bit of machining. which btw i would like to talk to someone one with access to these tools. i think i may have a permanet solution.

not making this sound like i am trying to milk ya'll, i am asking to decide if i should persue it cause it would cost quite a bit in R&D

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band

Last edited by Hizzo3; 01-26-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

personal i havent had a problem with the charging system in 18years of use exept when the +ve terminal on my r/r coroded out early on, I had an r/r from a z750 so replaced it with that, no problem since. but I had also relaced the std. exhaust for straight throughs so this could have helped to(less heat). also on the uk model the headlight is only on when you want it(seporate switch) so less load.(or would that make the r/r get hotter)?

BEST OF HEALTH AND HAPPYNESS
EDALBRIS

1952 NORTON (MODEL ONE) 'BIG 4'
1955 NORTON DOMINATOR 88/99 CAFE RACER
1981 KAWASAKI Z1000ST SHAFT
1988 KAWASAKI VN750 (UK) HARDTAIL + 5"
1988 KAWASAKI VULCAN 750 (US)

ALL TIME WISHLIST BIKES
1939 BROUGH SUPERIOR SS100 GRAND ALPINE SPORT
ANY 1940ish NORTON WITH CS1 ENGINE
A RIDE ON A NORTON NEMISIS 'A'
NEVER HAD A CAR LICENCE AND HOPFULLY NEVER WILL
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3 View Post
Ok so i was driving home and thinking.....what is the biggest flaw on our bike.... the charging system. and yes, frankenstator is here, but its nothing but a bandaid.

What if there was a way that the electrical system could be modified to produce more then enough juice (looking in the 60amp range, and no idle issues), and what if it was as reliable as your cars?

how much would it be worth to you.... i havent put this past just being a thought, but i think i may be able to pull it off. it will be a at least 60% revamp of the charging system, and maybe a complete replacement. i am thinking it may sit around the 500-1000 mark. there will need to be quite a bit of machining. which btw i would like to talk to someone one with access to these tools. i think i may have a permanet solution.

not making this sound like i am trying to milk ya'll, i am asking to decide if i should persue it cause it would cost quite a bit in R&D
hizzo, I am a machinist / welder. if you have questions drop me a note.

Stan

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

new tires (OEM Stones) 6/2008
home made floorboards (knifemakers styling)
stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
clear alternatives brake & tailight 8/2008
Added Mutazu hard bags 3/2009
added customLED load equalizers for the bags LED lights 3/2009

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

If you're still thinking of a water (or was it oil) cooled stator cover, have ya considered a casting instead of all machined?
Just a thought.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Hizzo, you are infatuated with your stator to much. Just mount a oil cooler in front of the radiator, fill with a good full syn and ride not wrench. Seriously, have you researched a oiler cooler set up with a different fan that would draw less amps than the factory one?(first sentence is in jest)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

i have looked into the oil cooled set up.... and i do like it, and if my frankenstator still doesnt hold up i may consider going through and installing it... i will also be taking oil temp readlings to see if i should install that.....

but i am onto something much bigger and better..... i got to thinking, how could the system be almost cured, and boosted at the same time.... I keep leaning back to a cars alternator set up.... now granted, we cant take a car alternator and just bolt it up very easy, but what if we could redesign the flywheel to where instead of permanet magnets, it had electromagnets....then the system would be truely regulated, over just being trimmed. but i kept thinking on how the brushes would have trouble in the oil...... but i think i have come up with a solution to this.... anyone familiar with single wire, or one wire alternators? we could use this principal to replace the flywheel. if we cant bring the alternator to the bike, then we will make our own .

my primary purpose of doing this is to help modernize the bike, and make it much more reliable.... right now, the only issue that i can see in reliablity that is a ticking time bomb, is the stator. plus, wouldnt you love 40-80 AMPS of juice (480-960 watts.....)... and if you could pay 500- 700 bucks to replace the whole charging system, and knowing it will last as long if not longer then a car alternator, wouldnt you jump at it? (we are talking about 100k+ possiable on one system, which is cheaper then 5 stators anyway)

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Sounds like a great idea.

I don't know much about alternators, so what does the one wire type do that would make it a better candidate for a mod like this?

If it were to be done, does any oil need to introduced into the area previously occupied by the stator then?

Glad someone here knows enough about electronics to be thinkin' of stuff like this!! Keep it up Hizzo !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Sounds like a great idea.

I don't know much about alternators, so what does the one wire type do that would make it a better candidate for a mod like this?

If it were to be done, does any oil need to introduced into the area previously occupied by the stator then?

Glad someone here knows enough about electronics to be thinkin' of stuff like this!! Keep it up Hizzo !!

instead of having the alternator having a communicator with sections (making it alternate) there is iron peices that bend the magnetic field. that means that the brushes last longer.... oil will still be needed to lub the cam chain and so on.... it will also help keep the system cool as it wont run anywhere near as hot.... i will try and scan in a drawling tonight....

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

This is an overview of the entire system

this is one method, this would replace the magnets inside the rotor.

this is another method of doing the rotor... this would replace the magnets in there now,

hope this helps visulize the system. the voltage comming from the commuinicator dictates the rotors magnetic strength.... as less juice is needed, less voltage is used. same principal as a cars alternator.... this system will only produce what is needed, a very small regulator is needed to control the rotor's voltage, very little is burned off. Minimal heat, but still high great materials will be used to maximize the unit....

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

Last edited by Hizzo3; 02-03-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement