maybe it is the spark - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

maybe it is the spark

I have been trying to crank my bike for weeks now. I finally got some seafoam and cycled through the carbs and still it won't crank.

The battery is a marine battery that is in good shape. I am getting fire but apparently it isn't firing enough or isn't under compression. It is spitting but nothing close to running, not even trying.

Any ideas to look at?

Grace!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Check for a stuck float....that will cause starting issues for sure...getting any backfires ?

Fuel + air + fire....thats whats needed as a basic...if any are lacking, or TOO much, will cause issues...also, if a float is stuck, and it floods the cyl, even a decent battery might not push it over enough....

Try putting a charger to the battery, at like mebbe 10 amp....wait 3 mins and with still connected, try it....if it starts right up, then prolly a stuck float...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM

What is that battery's cold cranking amps rated at? And any idea how many volts it is putting out while you are trying to crank it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I will check the voltages tomorrow. Good to see someone that is close to me with the same bike. I saw the Fl. Gator and thought Jacksonville but St. Augustine is close too.

Grace!
Richard
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM

There's actually a couple of other guys on here in Jax too. Chris32250 is out at the beach and ifixf18s is in Jax I think. Where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Brunswick, Ga. about 45 miles from the state line. It is still a little way to you but a whole lot closer than some of the guys in the Honda forum I used to be in.

Grace
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Wolfie, I just pulled the carbs and cleaned them thoroughly but I am not seeing any gas on the plugs. However this afternoon I pulled the plug that is exposed and not the one that is down inside (didn't have the right socket here). Tomorrow I will test that.

I posted somewhere else that the exposed plug when removed is blowing my finger off hard and not sucking my finger in which made me believe that the spark plugs were not redundant and I needed to check the other spark plug to see if it is getting wet.

Grace!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM

Doesn't sound like there's enough fuel getting to the cylinders. Have you tried applying vacuum to the center port of the petcock? Assuming you don't have the early model without the vacuum line. That would fill the carbs if the floats are opening.

I used starting fluid on mine one time, the others I just put vacuum on the port.

Need to get some fuel in there.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

They are redundant. Not only do both plugs fire together, the VN is waste spark. It fires at the top of compression and exhaust stroke.

The reason for 2 plugs per cylinder is so it can run more compression w/o detonation. Max advance is 25*. Most OBD autos will run more than that at no load idle once in closed loop.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

You know I am not sure if I got anything hooked up right when it comes to the vacuum lines. When I got the bike all of that was disconnected. I may have all that wrong and that is why it isn't getting any gas. I now on the left side of the bike if I was sitting on it, there is a hose coming off the nipple of the carb on that side that goes up to the center nipple on the gas tank.

On the right side I am not sure I know where that goes from the nipple from the right carb. And in between the carbs that line isn't hooked up to anything.

Some help would probably find it beneficial it hooking those up correctly.

Grace!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement