Please help! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Please help!

I am installing a DanMoto SP8 gauge to replace all the vulcan stock gauges and I'm a bit lost with the wiring of it...need help! Attached is a picture of the inputs for the new gauge but I'm not sure of the correct way to attach the stock connector to it so it will work with the existing harness. I will eventually figure it out but if anyone has advice to save me time and aggravation I would really appreciate it! Some relevant information...I'm not going to be using turn signals or high beam but I want the indicators hooked up as normal incase I decide to add them back at a later date; everything is coming from a new stock wiring harness. thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIRING_SP8.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	8017  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

1.-G

2.-BL/R

3.-LO

4.-R/BL (note 1, below)

5.-BK/Y

6.-RD/BL

7.-BK

8.-W/Y

9.-Y/W

10.-R/BK

11.-GY

note 1: this power source is for the instrument cluster on a VN. You are going to add a number of devises (tach, fuel, temp, etc.), and you are going to subtract quite a number of instrument light bulbs. A larger, higher amperage power source should be available inside the headlight bucket. Your call.

note 2: the Hall Effect wire needs to be totally isolated from power/ground/everything AFAIK.

HTH

Last edited by wmsonta; 06-10-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: attempted further info...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

awesome! thanks a lot

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again, that will be a massive time saver! The hall sensor is plug and play and already on its own isolated loop...quick connect goes straight to the pickup sensor on the caliper (I used JB weld to put the magnet inside one of the rotor vent holes). Would you recommend taking the hot lead from the headlight or running a dedicated line straight from the start solenoid? Also with the new unit being LED and all of the old incandescent lights being removed do you think I should try it witht he red/blue first and see how she works before I go running more wires?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormonkey333 View Post
try it witht he red/blue first
I would. In you instructions it may give the current draw. LED's are efficient.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

instructions are barely in english! LOL Thanks again, I'll let you know how it all works out when/if I get the beast up and running to test everything.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
whoa hold on a second!!!!
Quote:
LOL Thanks again, I'll let you know how it all works out when/if I get the beast up and running to test everything.
you aren't even running yet and you are messing with the dash and other circuits... this isn't good. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) by remembering this acronym, you will keep from haveing problems.
My first and biggest piece of advice is get the bike running and make sure all the electrical is working right, then work on adding your Dash. by doing this you will eliminate human error in trying to wing it.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Trust me I would have left everything simple if I'd had a choice....only thing on the bike that was useable were cables, rims/tires, frame, engine/tranny/final drive....everything else had already been chopped, gutted, jury-rigged, etc.... I'm basically starting from scratch and couldn't get it to run unless I rebuilt the entire electrical/signal system....sucks but thats the life when you buy a 350$ project bike... I'm planning to run it without horn, front or rear turn signals, clutch or kickstand safety so I think I can use the new wiring harness I got and just leave those parts disconnected (bypass the safety switches but the rest being unplugged shoulnt interfere with the normal operation of the bike ....but please correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by sailormonkey333; 06-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

there is one quick connect plug I can't find in the schematic... orange/blue, black/red, and black..... any ideas? Also I think I have a bad JB ...I have everything hooked up to test the starting circuit and nothing.....sidestand (black/yellow and green/white spliced together) and clutch switch (black/yellow and green/white spliced together) are bypassed, neutral switch is attached and bike in neutral, ignition is on with good power, solenoid works, kill switch is in on position, start button is making good contact (and I tried crossing the red/black wires to make sure it wasn't just the button)everything is plugged up except gauge cluster, and I rechecked all my grounding points and they are solidly grounded to the frame, fuses are all good, all connections have been cleaned with dry solvent and coated in DE grease....and if I jump the solenoid it turns over just fine...... ANY suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by sailormonkey333; 06-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
It sounds like the safety switches are your culprit... I had to put in a diode for the neutral switch to get my schematic to work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement