Sealed Battery charge - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Sealed Battery charge

Probably a stupid question, but what the heck?

Recently installed a sealed battery in my 01 750. I have a battery tender that I used last winter on my regular battery. Any problems hooking it up to the new one during down times? I ride year round but there are times when the bike may sit for two or three weeks between snows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
You can check the battery manufacturers website for charging recommendations to be sure, then compare that to the output of your tender to make sure its compatible.

Most SLA's do not want to see a charge current higher than 2 amps, if your tender stays under that, its probabaly okay, subject to the above.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Geek

I do it all the time.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Avid Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to stevebtx12
Definitely check for the battery manufacturers recommendation. Mine said nothing over 1.5 amps, which is what my better tender is rated at.

Steve in TX
'06 VN1600 Classic
V&H Bigshots
F&S windshield/lowers
Mustang seat/driver backrest
OEM saddle bags/Easy brackets
Phatt II risers
Cobra fatty highway bar/Kury Dually highway pegs
Cobra sissy bar/luggage rack
Iso Flame grips/throttle boss
VROC #22372
-------------
"Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug." (me)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
i don't use any battery minder/tender. i pulled my MF battery out and stored it in warm place (closet in our office room). i guess i will let you know how it went and if it is any good in spring. i don't anticipate any problems though as my friend does exacly the same thing and didn't have anyproblem with his 3 year old battery stored from novemer till may.
as someone with electrical backgroung i can't understand what good can constant trickle-charging do to battery life. but then again i'm might be wrong...

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Cool

Have you tried to start your bike after 2 or 3 weeks just to see if there is that much of a drain on your battery?I live in the northeast corner of CT.And it used to get really cold here ( not bad this year) and my bike starts right up .................
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Probably a stupid question, but what the heck?

Recently installed a sealed battery in my 01 750. I have a battery tender that I used last winter on my regular battery. Any problems hooking it up to the new one during down times? I ride year round but there are times when the bike may sit for two or three weeks between snows.
If the charger you used didn't hurt the other battery it won't hurt the sealed battery.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Benjammin'

Battery charge....

One piece of knowledge (I think) I have gained is to be sure your battery is as charged as possible when starting the bike up in the spring. Doesn't a well charged battery place the least strain as possible on an already weak stator charging system?

For what its worth, I have done it both ways- leave the battery in and try starting it up in the spring, and this year, pulled the battery and keeping in in the house with me. I now have a gel battery that I hope to keep a while....

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Smile

I start my bike at least once a week in the winter months I dont have any trouble I let it run until it is warmed up.Maybe even take a little spin. Been doing this for years it always works for me.Yeah..............
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankist View Post
i don't use any battery minder/tender. i pulled my MF battery out and stored it in warm place (closet in our office room). i guess i will let you know how it went and if it is any good in spring. i don't anticipate any problems though as my friend does exacly the same thing and didn't have anyproblem with his 3 year old battery stored from novemer till may.
as someone with electrical backgroung i can't understand what good can constant trickle-charging do to battery life. but then again i'm might be wrong...
Due to the construction of the batteries they hava some internal resistance so they discharge themselves little by little (also it has to do with the quemistry of the lead acid battery... hence sulfatation) about 1 to 2% total charge by every week since it was charged. As a battery get older the rate of discharge get's more steep until it does not hold any charge... When you apply a trickle charge (between 13.0 and 13.2 volts) the amount of current going into the battery is about the same it losses by the natural discharge but more important it stops they decay of the acid in suspension stoping sufatation (again some more quemistry). What makes trickel charge a good thing for the battery it keeps it top off but does not boil the water from the battery. In some applications this kind of charge can make batteries last for over ten years. In our case, it's relly nice to know when you want your bike to start it will be ready to do so... In your case tankist MF batteries discharge somewhat slower that regular batteries... still a trickle charge is good... no harm done... just make sure the charge you choose charges to about 1.2 to 1.5 amps... that's about the max current the stock size battery will take safely

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement