Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

tachmeter won't work

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Sky Rider 
#1 ·
I bought a used bike that didn't have a working tachometer. Previous owner thought it was a loose wire. Went through all the wires and connections, all seemed fine. I'm getting full power so it's not the coil. Lights and temp gauge work fine, have deduced it is something faulty within the tach itself. Kaw wants $250 for a new one. Anyone have a source for a slightly used one, or if anyone can repair them? Or is this simply a throw it away and replace it instrument? Has anyone else had tach problems?

BTW, the needle does budge when you give it the gas, but it doesn't rise above 500. Thanks for any ideas.

:motorcycl :motorcycl

#2 ·
have you checked to make sure the tach is getting a good signal. if it is then the tach is bad. look on ebay, as the tach is non servicable

#6 · (Edited)
You could get this and see if it works. http://tinyurl.com/y7o4os Cheaper than the dealer. The review seems a bit over enthusiastic though.---Got to thinking about it last night, because the ignition pickups work off the crankshaft, the spark plugs fire at the end of the exhaust stroke as well as when they're needed just before TDC. A tach that used the spark as reference wouldn't be accurate. Better to find one on E-bay that specifically says it's for our bike like Trashlord suggested.

#7 ·
definitely look for it on ebay..if you do not see one listed, find someone that looks as if they are parting out the whole bike and email them.

#9 ·
Mine is the same way. Hasn't worked since I've owned it. If you buy a used one are they difficult to install?

JoeM

#10 ·
If you aren't afraid of soldering wires together, it would just be a matter of cutting the wires and reconnecting them with the new tach. It you are not comfortable with this, you will have to trace each of the wires and find where it connects to the system. I don't think it has a central plug that you can disconnect the whole thing at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.