Need help trouble shooting. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Need help trouble shooting.

Recently bought a 93 that had been sitting for about 5 years. Had the carbs cleaned and balanced and the front brakes bled. The mechanic said that the cooling fan wasn't coming on and traced the problem to it not being plugged into the junction/fuse box. He said that there was nowhere to plug it in so it must have the wrong box. He said it should be okay to ride it until I got the correct box. I got it registered today and rode it to the gas station to fill it up. It ran fine until right before I got to the station when it sputtered a couple of times then died as I rolled into a parking space. I put it in neutral and hit the starter and nothing. I then noticed that there was no juice to the system. I turned the key off and on a couple of times and the juice came back and it started but ran rough and only revved a little more than idle when I noticed the tach was jumping between 6-7k, then it died again. I called the mechanic and he said he thought it was related to the junction/fuse box. My question is what do you guys think it could be? It might be why it's been sitting for 5 years and why I got it for $700. Also it has a brand new lead acid battery.

Tom

93 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Prowling Tiger

First thought is faulty charging system. Next thought, use these forums to your advantage. Most mechanics are clueless and don't know what we know.

Get a multimeter and check battery voltage. Should be a bit more than 12 volts at idle or with bike off. If you are not seeing that, then something is screwy with stator or the regulator / rectifier. Start there and let us know what you read.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Next thought, use these forums to your advantage. Most mechanics are clueless and don't know what we know.

Get a multimeter and check battery voltage. Should be a bit more than 12 volts at idle or with bike off. If you are not seeing that, then something is screwy with stator or the regulator / rectifier. Start there and let us know what you read.
First part is exactly why I'm here!

Not sure that charging system would cause it to have no juice at all. I'll get a multimeter to check the readings if I can get juice back to start and let the forum know what I get. Thanks for the reply.

Tom

93 Vulcan 750

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 AM

Garage
Check all your grounds and make sure your battery cables are on tight, they wiggle loose sometimes.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Check all your grounds and make sure your battery cables are on tight, they wiggle loose sometimes.
To quote a very old tv commercial "That Makes Sense"! I'll do that first.

Tom

93 Vulcan 750
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Also check them at the frame.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Also check them at the frame.
Be aware, dirty contacts in the ignition switch have caused similiar problems...
....just sayin'

+1
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM

had tack jumping around and traced problem back to contacts on junction box in my case.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
Be aware, dirty contacts in the ignition switch have caused similiar problems...
....just sayin'

+1
+1
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
look closely at the fuse box for spilled battery acid, or wires the look like they got hot. inside the fuse box are 5 relays. 1 relay works the cooling fan. I have seen these relays fail, in fact I have seen them fail so much that I used to rebuild the fuse box to put in normal automotive relays to get rid of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement