Rewiring/new wiring guidance needed... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Rewiring/new wiring guidance needed...

....as most of you know, Ive completely flipped my bike around...I have many Harley lights on it...now....Harley used the frame/fender grounds for the (-)...Kawi adds an extra wire for that...Ive already used single wire Yama signals on mine without issue...front and rear signals on the Harley are single filament, so Im guessing no running lights, right ?....thats ok...I can deal with it...

Main question...is that I want to run my front "passing lights" as theyre called, switched, off of the aux lighting in the healight housing...I can do that...but I need to know if I can hook up switched LED accents to the aux leads by the battery, and safely run them both together...I know I could run each individualy that way, but can I do both simultaneously ?...the accents wouldnt draw hardly any more amps, but would it cause a short ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Jack of all trades

Shouldn't cause a short IMO. Your main concern would be the total electrical load. But alas, I'm no expert and I'd listen to a more seasoned electrical guru.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Why not run the 'switched' aux leads to a relay coil, then send bat power to the relay contact Normally open, then the common of the relay out to your load?

This way the 'aux' circuit is not so burdened with lighting loads.

I have an extra automotive relay. Used one to get more power to my head light.

Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Not 100% sure, but I think the Aux already goes thru a relay....dont matter....had everything new unhooked, key off....soon as I touched the ground on my charger to the (-) bat terminal, dash lights went on and the tach went to 8k....I got a short obviously somewhere, but cant find it....my eyes aint good enough anymore to see old dirty wire colors either....I can only figure I pinched something when I put the fairing on...I may yank it off tomorrow too...really only wanted it for just before, during, and right after winter....mebbe real long trips....just 5 bolts...best do that so I can see all the wires better....this sucks....

Just gonna get drunked up for tonight, and will hit it again in the morning...
I hate frickin wiring...especially on this thing...too many unneeded wires !....bikes were so much easier 30 yrs ago...siiiiiigh.....

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 PM

Garage
I set mine up with a relay in the headlight bucket so that the relay only energizes when the key is turned to run (I used the dash lights wiring).
The power went through a handlebar mounted switch then throught the relay.

Driving lights only turn on with my new switch on AND the ignition set to "run".

You can run the LED accent light off the same switch if you want, or a seperate switch and a seperate realy under the seat.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Not 100% sure, but I think the Aux already goes thru a relay....dont matter....had everything new unhooked, key off....soon as I touched the ground on my charger to the (-) bat terminal, dash lights went on and the tach went to 8k....I got a short obviously somewhere, but cant find it....my eyes aint good enough anymore to see old dirty wire colors either....I can only figure I pinched something when I put the fairing on...I may yank it off tomorrow too...really only wanted it for just before, during, and right after winter....mebbe real long trips....just 5 bolts...best do that so I can see all the wires better....this sucks....

Just gonna get drunked up for tonight, and will hit it again in the morning...
I hate frickin wiring...especially on this thing...too many unneeded wires !....bikes were so much easier 30 yrs ago...siiiiiigh.....
even my bike has less wiring, those 750's are like space ships.

Very weird that with the ign off your lights on the dash went on... very weird.

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Changed jets
Corbin Seat
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Its a pinch somewhere, and I think I found it....the wiring mess going to the tach housing is all funky looking (I pulled the fairing off)...too pissed off, and tired and blind right now to mess any more today....but gotta be it....all other wires were basically direct replacements for what I already had...this just really blows dead moose...story of my frickin life....and Laconia so close...

Fenris will enjoy this...some may have Murphy, I got frickin Loki sittin on my shoulder !!!!

Vodka and Darvocet for dinner tonight...night boys....thanks....

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM

I am surprized that those wires have power with ign off, even if they were all tied together or anything weird.... with ign off I did not expect that power would get up there.

Take your time, use a test light or a meter and you will get it.

call me this weekend if you need help I can try to take a look. If I get parts, I will be a busy man.

Still need to get the high spots on this thing, tomorrow night is out, meeting a new gal and then the weekend should be mine....
Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Changed jets
Corbin Seat
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
....as most of you know, Ive completely flipped my bike around...I have many Harley lights on it...now....Harley used the frame/fender grounds for the (-)...Kawi adds an extra wire for that...Ive already used single wire Yama signals on mine without issue...front and rear signals on the Harley are single filament, so Im guessing no running lights, right ?....thats ok...I can deal with it...

Main question...is that I want to run my front "passing lights" as theyre called, switched, off of the aux lighting in the healight housing...I can do that...but I need to know if I can hook up switched LED accents to the aux leads by the battery, and safely run them both together...I know I could run each individualy that way, but can I do both simultaneously ?...the accents wouldnt draw hardly any more amps, but would it cause a short ?
Wolfie my man... I have posted up this diagram hundreds of times... and to tell you the truth you would only need to use the accessory leads in the headlight bucket to make it work... Were Volt Meter is system load.. or in your case the new lighting circuit. the brown wire in the digram would go to the grey parking light wire in the stock harness, and the switch would go on pin 85 to break the ground.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Wolfie my man... I have posted up this diagram hundreds of times... and to tell you the truth you would only need to use the accessory leads in the headlight bucket to make it work... Were Volt Meter is system load.. or in your case the new lighting circuit. the brown wire in the digram would go to the grey parking light wire in the stock harness, and the switch would go on pin 85 to break the ground.
What does this do? It does not do anything to reduce the load on the aux wire. I do not see the point of the relay. Please describe what your thoughts are in the circuit you posted /// please go through it explaining the thought process.

BTW, I do not like to hook live power to #30, reason? Because when the relay is not energized power will be going to 87a as it is the NC contact. Now if you run the power to pin 87 instead of 30 and make 30 the load, then the load will tie to pin 87a when relay is de-energized and you can't get a 'short' then if you do not cap off 87a. Just an extra safety i do when using these relays.

thanks, Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Changed jets
Corbin Seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement