Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question Wiring Question

Dear All:

This is a photo I took of the three wires that hang between the left side cover and the exhaust (dangling in front of the cross-piece of the frame). It looks to me like they've melted a little bit. One person suggested that I wrap electrical tape around the wires to protect them (or melt some Saran Wrap around them!). Another has suggested that I pull them back and attach them to the cross-piece with a plastic tie. My mechanic suggests that I could have them replaced and resituated (and paid for by Kawasaki since my new bike is still under warranty until spring).

Looking at this photograph, what is your diagnosis and what treatment option(s) do you suggest?! (I know nothing about electrical wiring.)

https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...to=424&cat=530

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 11-18-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Search Goddess

If I am looking at those wires correctly.. those are the three yellow stator wires.. and the connectors
By all means get them replaced under warranty. This needs to be documented for warranty purposes. Ask the mechanic to do a hot and cold engine stator test also to assure your stator is also up to par.
One of the most important things for a healthy stator is to have good clean connections and good insulation on those wires.
One lesson I learned the hard way (after an electrical fire because the insulation had melted and the wires shorted) is to make sure they have plenty of breathing room also. Don't bundle the wires together for the sake of neatness!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:42 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I agree with Diania, they look like the stator wires. Get it fixed under warranty. Might save you alot of money and hassel in the future.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Now what

Those are the stator wires and the infamous connectors. They usually look like that after a year or two. I'd take it back to the dealer. They have to confirm that the stator is still ok (it probably is) and you want documentation that the connectors were defective during the warranty period so if anything electrical fails later, you have something to fall back on.

They've melted from heat caused by the resistance they present to the high current flowing through the wire. Looking that bad that soon could very well mean they're defective.

Wrapping in electrical tape is about the dumbest thing I can think of. They're too freaking hot in the first place and he wants to wrap them up in vinyl? They need air flow so don't bundle them together.

The connectors are there for manufacturing purposes only in my opinion. When mine melted, I replaced them with some good quality wire and a couple of good solder joints (if I do say so myself A little heat shrink tubing and they look as good as the day I put them in which was a couple of thousand miles ago. They aren't bundled together, just swinging free in the wind, the way nature intended.

I did just discover a product that's been around for a long time, http://tinyurl.com/7zrgz Anderson PowerPole connectors. I believe I'd trust them to do the job if I had to have some kind of connector. They come in other ampacities beside 30. 15 for instance, which would work well for the stator wires, I do believe.

So, yeah, like Dianna said.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
I did just discover a product that's been around for a long time, http://tinyurl.com/7zrgz Anderson PowerPole connectors. I believe I'd trust them to do the job if I had to have some kind of connector. They come in other ampacities beside 30. 15 for instance, which would work well for the stator wires, I do believe.
Ahhh, now that ya post that link, I've got several of those connectors from when I was into RC race trucks.
Thanks for reminding me Ironman !! Now I just gotta find the box they're in !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9240009.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	174  

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I thought they looked familiar.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin
Ahhh, now that ya post that link, I've got several of those connectors from when I was into RC race trucks.
Thanks for reminding me Ironman !! Now I just gotta find the box they're in !!
A good hobby shop that handles R/C gear should have them. I went to the local Hobbytown USA to see if I could find some. Two guys were playing with a helicopter and one was working the till. Not wanting to interrupt the "demonstration" I asked the third fellow if he had any "SB" type connectors (that's how they might know them). He tried to help, but didn't really have a clue. Finally the battery on the helicopter peetered out, and the other two sidled on over. They knew what I was talking about. One of them proceeded to rummage through a small cardboard box on the floor muttering, "I know they're in here". He does manage to pull out one red and one black shell. The other guy points out that they need the "silver things" also. They didn't see any of them in the box. Fortunately I hadn't hitched any aspirations of buying the connectors to this poorly prepared team. I thanked them and went on my way. I'll probably buy them on line anyway. The best deal I could find is http://tinyurl.com/yndec9 and they have a website too, http://tinyurl.com/yms6zt. Shipping is very reasonable on the EBay site, only $2. It's like $8 on their own site. I won't use them on the stator wires (mine are already soldered) but they look very useful for making leads and connections for the Battery Tender for instance. A good "How to" article is http://tinyurl.com/w2j4f

Happy Flying!

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864

Last edited by Ironman; 11-19-2006 at 03:54 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here is another link.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD175&P=0
This is for the 4 connector quantity. They also have 20 and 100 quantities as well.
The main link is:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CGB
The DuraTrax Powerpole connectors are the ones.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider
Here is another link.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD175&P=0
This is for the 4 connector quantity. They also have 20 and 100 quantities as well.
The main link is:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CGB
The DuraTrax Powerpole connectors are the ones.
Interesting, I'd only seen them listed as Anderson Powerpoles. I wish it said if they were the 30amp or 15amp though. The shells are the same size, but the metal connectors are made for different size wire. They want $8.99 S/H too, bummer. Be ok if you got 20 or more though.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Warranty Work Completed

I have just had warranty work done on my stator wires. You can go to this link to see the before-and-after photos... https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=530.

The Kaw mechanic said that the deterioration of the stator wire covers evident in the first photo had not yet harmed the stator wires themselves or the connectors ~ although the connectors had looked damaged to my unpracticed eye. (Of course, the wires and connectors would eventually have been destroyed had the problem been left unchecked.) Therefore, he: 1) re-covered the wires/connectors with some blue protective material, 2) repositioned the wires far from the exhaust, leaving them unbundled and hanging free, and 3) performed a full stator test (all is OK). All of this is shown in photos 2-4. This work was covered by my warranty.

The mechanic did not replace any wires; nor did he add any fuses.

What does everyone think about this?!

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 12-02-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement