Headlight issues after a rain storm - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Headlight issues after a rain storm

The bike got rained on (POURED on) the other day here at work and now my headlight is acting strange. It will go completely out but won't give an indication in the dash like it has a burned filament. Occasionally, it will come on again but usually goes right back out. This isn't particularly a problem during the day, but I work second shift so my ride home was interesting on Wednesday. I rode again today thinking it had enough time to dry out, but it looks like another entertaining trip again tonight. Anyone got any ideas for things I can check in the parking lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM

Jiggle a buncha related wires around, and then check the socket where the actual bulb sits...all I can figure....its obviously a water thing....start her up and let her idle for awhile too...any connects close to the engine should dry out then....after that....drive home REALLY fast, and hope nobody sees ya....

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the headlight out of its housing and got nothing. Took the seat off and found the headlight relay by accident beating on stuff with a screwdriver handle. Hopefully it'll get me home without too much trouble. I'll pull the right side cover tomorrow and further investigate.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
three possible places to look.. one the headlight bucket (which is my first place of concern), two the Fuse box, or thirdly your stator is shorting out. For the first two take a can of electrical cleaner (found at wal-mart, any parts stor, or Radio Shack) and clean all the connectors in the headlight and going to the fuse box. while behind the left hand side cover, check the Stator wires to make sure they are all plugged in, not water logged, and no sings of arcing. Also check battery voltage with the engine off, and then again through all rpm ranges from idel through 5500 rpm... if the voltage stays around battery voltage you have a charging problem and the headlight might not be receiving a trigger signal from the stator.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBox View Post
I pulled the headlight out of its housing and got nothing. Took the seat off and found the headlight relay by accident beating on stuff with a screwdriver handle. Hopefully it'll get me home without too much trouble. I'll pull the right side cover tomorrow and further investigate.
The only thing behind the right side cover is the starter relay (solenoid) and the Frame to engine ground. what did you tap under the seat to find the relay? the relay is inside the Fuse box and can not be gotten too.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
The only thing behind the right side cover is the starter relay (solenoid) and the Frame to engine ground. what did you tap under the seat to find the relay? the relay is inside the Fuse box and can not be gotten too.

A metal box with a wire bundle connected to it right behind the battery box and right side cover. Idk what it is or if it's even related lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Took the seat off and found the headlight relay by accident beating on stuff with a screwdriver handle. Hopefully it'll get me home without too much trouble.
Ya see....ya figured it out....next time use a bigger hammer....lol....hay, its what I do...

But we got our resident electrics expert back now...no more need for hillbilly wrenchin...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:10 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
can you take a picture of said metal box? I don't remember a metal box behind the battery.... Behind the battery is supposed to be a plastic box with two connectors for the CDI, a square plastic flasher with 3 wires and one more square plastic thing with 4 wires for the reserve lighting unit. Do you have a service manual?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

It was the plastic box I was referring to. I did a little more checking when I got home and narrowed it down to the fuze box area. I pulled the top plug off and found some oxidation but still got the same symptoms on a test ride after cleaning it up. I'll look more at it tomorrow in the daylight.

And no paper service manual here. I have it downloaded to my phone but it's clumsy and not very user friendly and doesn't get used.

Last edited by SlowBox; 05-18-2013 at 03:06 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:38 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
try this
Quote:
If the headlight relay is the culprit, there is an easy (and free)
repair you can do to bypass the relay. This will make the headlight
come on when you turn on the key, instead of when the engine starts.
There are 2 plugs going into your junction box (where the fuses are);
one is a 10 pin connector, the other is an 8 pin connector. Unplug
the 8 pin connector. There are only 7 wires going to this plug, so
one of the holes is empty. Move the blue wire to that empty hole and
plug it back in to the junction box. Now when you turn the key on the
headlight comes on. Let us know if you have any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement