Understanding The Charging System - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Understanding The Charging System

I just installed my TPE stator and a mosfet regulator. With the bike idle and the battery is fully charged I see 14.- volts. Rev it and it increases a little bit. Well I went for a quick ride and on the way I noticed the bike stopped charging. Stopped at a shop to check and see what was going on. Voltmeter at the shop said the battery was around 13v and didn't increase much, never broke 14 volts. Played with the bullet connections from the stator and on the way home it seemed to charge again. It looks like one of the legs was loose or got disconnected. With two of the legs still connected why didn't it charge?

Can someone also explain if the bike should be charging no matter what rpm range? I have heard that the bike doesn't charge much at idle. But on that ride my meter, got the one that is just an led light, went from green to amber a lot. Didn't seem to stay green for that long before going amber. Sometimes I would see it flash red but I think that is when the connection got loose.

The warning indications are as follows:
Green, light charging fine, The window is about 13.2 to 14.8 volts.
Green and red alternating is over voltage (over 15 volts, not good)
Amber, (bike running) hook up a voltmeter on your bike and see what's happening with it running.
Red or red flashing means your bike is probably not running and you have your lights on, or if your bike is running there is trouble in paradise and you need to take action not to get stranded.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM

From what I've read, with the TPE stator it should be charging something worthwhile at or near idle, and a consistent higher charge above 2000 rpm, like about 13.5v more or less.

Did see one post where the voltage was a consistent 14v all the time.

13v at the battery isn't bad. Fix the connections and see if the lights go away and charging is more consistent.

Don't have the stator in my signature finished just yet.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
TheOne2043, I am going to pick apart your post so as to give you the best most accurate information I can possibly give.

Quote:
I just installed my TPE stator and a mosfet regulator. With the bike idle and the battery is fully charged I see 14.- volts.
Your findings here are congruent with A TPE Stator combined with the MOSFET R/R... The Mosfett R/R by itself with out a TPE Stator, will have the same results.

A MOSFET R/R Should produce 14.5V through all RPM Ranges

Quote:
With two of the legs still connected why didn't it charge?
It didn't charge because our Stator is a three phase power generator. If one leg isn't connected, then the R/R can't get the correct AC Voltage to convert into DC Voltage.

Quote:
The warning indications are as follows:
Green, light charging fine, The window is about 13.2 to 14.8 volts.
Green and red alternating is over voltage (over 15 volts, not good)
Amber, (bike running) hook up a voltmeter on your bike and see what's happening with it running.
Red or red flashing means your bike is probably not running and you have your lights on, or if your bike is running there is trouble in paradise and you need to take action not to get stranded.
I don't like these LED Voltage gauge thingies... they aren't accurate, and with the TPE Stator and Mosfet R/R can give false readings (especially on the overvoltage side of things). The best solution is to have an Amp Gauge or an actual voltage guage. this way you can see if you have a charge or discharge or neutral charge, or you can see the exact voltage range you are at. have the flashing LEDs to alert you of a problem but don't rely on them to tell you what the problem is.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Well I started to do some testing. With the headlight unplugged idle the bike sits around 14v's. Give it some throttle and it increases a tiny bit. Now with the headlight plugged in it dropped to 13v's and never seen it hit 14v's. Is there something with my headlight circuit that its pulling more power? Any suggestions to check?

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 PM

Question

What was the battery voltage before you started the engine?

Was that 13v at all rpms or just idle?

I would warm it up until the fan comes on, that's the largest draw, and check it with both the lights and fan on.

If your battery is fully charged, 13v isn't all that terrible. You don't really want a full 14.5v all the time, it could overcharge the battery or overheat the R/R if too much of that current isn't being used.

A weak battery can pull the voltage down as well. What's the highest voltage the battery will show after being charged, disconnected, and allowed to cool down? The voltage will be highest as soon as the charger is turned off, then it drops off as the battery cools for about an hour, then should level out between 12.5 and 13v depending on it's age and condition.

Wet cell or AGM battery?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Its a brand new AGM I think when I got it it was around I believe 12 something I got the battery last week.

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
So your battery was at 12 volts last week, you assume it still has over 12 volts a week later even though your idiot light tells you to check the charging system. So if you're battery is still at 12volts then you have no problem.

What head light are you running? Have you done the blue write mood on the junction box? If the battery is over 13 volts static charge (key on engine off) then your charging system won't charge to 14.5 volts. But I think you have a week charge, bad ground, and possibly bad stator connections. Where did you get your notary r/r?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I think it was a H4 stock sylvania one from advanced.

I have the led volt meter spliced into the running light on the front of the bike.

The headlight light comes on when you turn the key, so I believe that is the blue wire move. I still don't understand how that works.

I sanded down both the ground terminals and connecting points a few days ago so it has nice shiny connections. As far as the stator connections, yesterday I went ahead and soldered them, removed the bullet connectors. The RR is from ROADSTERCYCLE.COM, I even took the butt connectors off and soldered them as well yesterday that I had used previously to connect the stator leads from the RR to the stock harness.

Side note this is how I have my charging system setup:

Stator leads to the stock leads in the harness, cut the old RR plug and tapped up the three now unused wires and the remaining three stator leads go to the new plug for the Mosfet.

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
I think it was a H4 stock sylvania one from advanced.

I have the led volt meter spliced into the running light on the front of the bike.

The headlight light comes on when you turn the key, so I believe that is the blue wire move. I still don't understand how that works.

I sanded down both the ground terminals and connecting points a few days ago so it has nice shiny connections. As far as the stator connections, yesterday I went ahead and soldered them, removed the bullet connectors. The RR is from ROADSTERCYCLE.COM, I even took the butt connectors off and soldered them as well yesterday that I had used previously to connect the stator leads from the RR to the stock harness.

Side note this is how I have my charging system setup:

Stator leads to the stock leads in the harness, cut the old RR plug and tapped up the three now unused wires and the remaining three stator leads go to the new plug for the Mosfet.
With a Mosfet R/R, I would have avoided the Stock Harness....if you still have battery/charging problems, your hook up to the R/R may be the problem.
SlimVulcanRider, as well as others, are more clearer on R/R connection than I.

WilliamTech
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM

WT is correct, the R/R kit came with 3' of black/red 10 ga., 2-wire. That wire should run from the pos/neg on the R/R to the batt. Positive goes through the Maxi fuse that came with the kit.

The three stator wires, using some larger gauge primary wire supplied by you, connect on the other side of the new R/R.

Re: The blue headlight wire swap:

This bypasses the trigger and relay setup from the stator and makes a direct connection to the headlight. The stock system has a trigger wire connected to one stator wire running to a relay, as soon as power comes from the stator, the relay trips and power goes to the headlight. After the mod, the headlight comes on as soon as the key is turned on.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement