question on the charging system on vn750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
bamafrankie

question on the charging system on vn750

I recently replaced the r/r on my 2003 vn750. I checked the stator with a meter and it checked good. my question is this I can jump start the bike with a riding lawnmower battery but when I pull the jumper cables off it goes dead. the battery on the bike is bad( only has about 10.8 volts. does the bike have to have a good battery to run even if the charging system is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Prowling Tiger

Yes! Needs at least 12 volts to think about starting. This bike relies heavily on a good battery and charging system. Charge the battery first, then try to jump or when it does start, get the RPMS up to 2500 to get the charging system fully running.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 05-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
bamafrankie

I was wondering if the bike was like a car they will stay running of the charging system once you jump it off. I read a thread by another member and I went and disconnected the bullet connectors from the stator and cranked and checked voltage at the connectors and I have 20plus volts ac at fast idle on all three leads. the connections were a little corroded so I cleaned and reinstalled. the reg/rectifier is new from rmstators just installed Friday. I guess I need to replace plug at the r/r it came with a new one was just saving it cause I was thinking of moving my r/r again to up near the radiator.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Might test the AC volts at higher RPM, but 20 sounds pretty low for AC volts. Should see a minimum of 40v AC, I think.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafrankie View Post
I recently replaced the r/r on my 2003 vn750. I checked the stator with a meter and it checked good. my question is this I can jump start the bike with a riding lawnmower battery but when I pull the jumper cables off it goes dead. the battery on the bike is bad( only has about 10.8 volts. does the bike have to have a good battery to run even if the charging system is fine.
Frankie, your experience is normal. The bike dies when you remove the jumper cables because the voltage regulator shuts down if it see less than ~12VDC on it's sense line. This is different than in a car because of the way our charging system works. The car alternator uses a variable field current in the rotor to regulate output voltage, and once the engine is started you can remove the battery and the regulator receives it's sense voltage from the output of the alternator. Conversely, our stator/regulator combo continues to use the battery as a reference voltage.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
bamafrankie

Thanks for the info I checked the stator and the voltage is a little above 20ac at idle but when I try to rev to 3k rpm the motor dies, reckon the battery is to week but the voltage is picking up before it dies a about 1k

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafrankie View Post
Thanks for the info I checked the stator and the voltage is a little above 20ac at idle but when I try to rev to 3k rpm the motor dies, reckon the battery is to week but the voltage is picking up before it dies a about 1k

What's the voltage at the battery? It should be around +12VDC at idle and shoot up to ~14VDC at higher RPM.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
bamafrankie

WELL I GUESS IT WAS THE BATTERY. I WENT TO ORIELLYS AND GOT A NEW ETX15 BATTERY AND AT IDLE it has 13 volts and a little over 14 at higher rpms. THANKS GUYS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement