Another Not charing issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Another Not charing issue

Just got done replacing the stator with a rewound one from TPE. Also was given a free RR and just the other day went out and got a brand new AGM battery. Rode fine yesterday and today the battery was dead. Help me understand how to test my components. I want to follow these instructions but not sure what setting my meter should be on.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/88523705/V...ystem-TS-Guide

Here is my meter. Please tell me what I should have it turned on for.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=211

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Prowling Tiger

When checking between R/R and stator, set meter to AC voltage. Anything after R/R, use DC voltage.

EDIT: In your pic, the V with wavey live is AC. The other V is DC.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

so this step:

Stator Resistance From Stator Side wiring Connectors:
Leg A1-A2 _____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A1-A3_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A2-A1_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A2-A3_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A3-A2_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A3_A1_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A1-Ground_____Ω OLLeg A2-Ground_____Ω OLLeg A3-Ground_____Ω OL

I would use the DC at 20?

1992 Vulcan 750.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
so this step:

Stator Resistance From Stator Side wiring Connectors:
Leg A1-A2 _____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A1-A3_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A2-A1_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A2-A3_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A3-A2_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A3_A1_____Ω 0.34-0.52 ΩLeg A1-Ground_____Ω OLLeg A2-Ground_____Ω OLLeg A3-Ground_____Ω OL

I would use the DC at 20?
No. Those are measured in Ohms. Use the settings on right side under the OMEGA symbol (Looks like on O with bottom split open). With those low values, select 200. BUT, it doesn't look like your meter can read decimal points; so, you may not be able to read anything under 1.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
Just got done replacing the stator with a rewound one from TPE. Also was given a free RR and just the other day went out and got a brand new AGM battery. Rode fine yesterday and today the battery was dead. Help me understand how to test my components. I want to follow these instructions but not sure what setting my meter should be on.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/88523705/V...ystem-TS-Guide

Here is my meter. Please tell me what I should have it turned on for.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=211
read this
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24093

and set meter accordingly ,the advice you have been given on your meter and this guide should get your answer for you

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Type your meter type in YouTube, there is a few videos to help you understand your meter. Multimeters check the different Characteristics of electricity.
A/C voltage, D/C voltage and resistance(ohms). Google them to help you understand.
For example when using your meter for D/C set the dial to the lowest dc setting that will measure the voltage your checking. For 12vdc set it to 20

When your bike is running the stator creates A/C voltage and supplies this voltage to the R/R. The R/R changes this voltage to D/C to keep the battery charged and operate the bikes electrical system.

Start with a fully charged battery, remove your seat to access the battery. Start the bike have a friend rev it up to about 3000 rpm. Set your meter to DC (20). And check the voltage at the battery should be 14-15 VDC. That's the first check I would do, that or check for the stator leads resistance to the bike frame ( a good ground).

I've read advice on here that if you have a defective stator you should replace the stator and the R/R. That's what I did when my stator went out. Hope I wasn't to winded or made it sound insulting. keep us informed.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I have my rr unplugged right now and when I go to plug it in with the bike running the bike seems to loose power idling quickly unplug it and the bike seems to get louder. I do see one of the terminals is burnt on the plug.

Stator at idle is at 40vac and when reving it it jumps upwards i have seen 90vac all leads seem to be about the same. I don't think my meter can check the ohms that low.

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM

It's not a good idea to connect/disconnect electronics with the power on/engine running.

Have you tested the R/R with it disconnected?

Sounds like the stator output is good.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I had the RR unplugged and tested right off the bullet connection of the stator. But I think this is the bad news, With my meter set to 200 ohms I got 00.8 off each leg of the stator with the bike off.

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 PM

I'm a bit confused you only mentioned measuring voltage then u mention your meter not measuring ohms that low??? It does sound like the stator output is ok. 90 Volts AC with the motor revved up.
Your multimeter is just fine for what we need it for as long as its working properly and the leads are ok.
Try this, set your meter to an omhs setting I would use 200 since that's what you should be setting it for when checking the bike. You should always touch the meter leads together to make sure there good. Touching them together creates a short, look at the display and you can see what a dead SHORT looks like. Keep in mind all wires will have some resistance. Seperated the leads look at the display and that's what an OPEN condition looks like.
What wire in the connector is burnt? This could be an important issue having a burned up wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement