CDI help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

CDI help

Ok Im tired of seeing my bike sit in my storage building. 4 years ago I asked for help to a rear cylinder right spark plug not firing and since I had back issues and other medical issues thats made me put my bike on the back burner and now Im working on it once again. I bought a old Kawasaki analog multimeter for a killer price and now tested my CDI and it fails every test per Clymer manual page 306 it actually doesn't even show any resistance on my multimeter except for testing pin 1 and pin 6 together I get a reading but its still slightly high and I bought a new analog multimeter non Kawasaki and it still fails to show any resistance except for the same pin 1 and pin 6 together test with that said Im going to buy different CDI here soon but does anyone know how to test the transisters inside my broken CDI. If anyone has knowledge on how to repair the CDI please let me know I love working on this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance ride safe my fellow riders.

Last edited by hellsoldier35; 05-07-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM

I know nothing about the CDI or it's testing.

Here's a couple of links that might help you, one for transistors, one for resistors. I could never get resistors right because I'm color blind enough to misread the color stripes.

Transistor testing:
http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Transistor

Resistor testing:
http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Resistors

A couple of our electronic techs have gone missing, but I think some are still posting.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM

PM member Mercury...he's up on that stuff because he's "a 'lectical engineer"....

Generally though, with CDIs, if they go, they GO....no warnings...if the case looks puffed out, more than likely a cap blew...if you cant find a used replacement, just get new...prices have gone way down and some are interchangable (like rectifiers)...

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-07-2013 at 08:56 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Prowling Tiger

Ok, I gotta ask. Is the CDI the R/R?

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM

No...the R/R is the rectifier (used to be called selenium rectifiers in the old days) manages voltage...the CDI unit ( Capacitive Discharge Ignition) generally replaces the standard coil and points type. After awhile, the capacitors on the circuit board get overheated and blow (swell) rendering them useless. Most of the cases are sealed, and really, not worth trying to split open and repair...most are under $100 new now.

Know how you have an ignitor button on your BBQ that causes spark to ignite the propane ?...thats a mini capacitive discharge...a CDI unit does this, and also manages the spark.

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-07-2013 at 09:08 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
No...the R/R is the rectifier (used to be called selenium rectifiers in the old days) manages voltage...the CDI unit ( Capacitive Discharge Ignition) generally replaces the standard coil and points type. After awhile, the capacitors on the circuit board get overheated and blow (swell) rendering them useless. Most of the cases are sealed, and really, not worth trying to split open and repair...most are under $100 new now.

Know how you have an ignitor button on your BBQ that causes spark to ignite the propane ?...thats a mini capacitive discharge...a CDI unit does this, and also manages the spark.
Ah, ok. I already knew what the R/R is. Just thought someone was calling it something else.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Yea the case isnt puffed out of nothing its sucks since my bike is a 2005 with like 3k miles on it. Ill have to look for a low priced new one if I can find one low enough or Ill just buy used thanks Wolfe your advise is always welcomed.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Hey Wolfe where can I buy a new one of these for less then $395 Ive found used ones priced $100 and slightly less but not new ones. Also what couldve caused this to go bad like it did. I remember the day my bike started missing I road it to work after lunch and ran over a small stick that dropped out of the truck in front of me since I couldnt swerve in time and since then its misfired. I also noticed that 1 of the yellow stator wires was smoking just before tgis stick thing and I fixed it cheaply but going to cut and splice a new wire in soon I dont know if that couldve caused it or not but I did buy this used as well.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM

check your stator output, if it is doing what it should, then the CDI is likely bad. The last ATV I worked on had a primary part of the stator (which went through the CDI for coil excite / spark) then it had a secondary wire from stator to tell the cdi WHEN to connect the primary to the coil.

I used a scope to check all this stuff, but proved it was the CDI.

I do not know if the stators on these bikes are different that that chinese atv i was working on....

If one plug gets spark and the other dont, I would think it is not the CDI unless it has two drivers one for each plug.

Good luck

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Garage
I am curious....is the CDI open so you can actually get to the internal components?
I assumed it was a sealed unit, but never tried to open one.

There are plenty of bikes being parted out, I would assume you can get a used one cheaper...it either works or it don't.

If you decide to trash it or if you did open it up....PM me....I love to tinker with stuff like this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement