Ever build your own eletrical parts? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Ever build your own eletrical parts?

I have a home made rectifier on my Honda, which cost about $12 to build. I'm looking at building my own solid state regulator. Has anyone done this on the Vulcan yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM

I think you need to talk to Hizzo father and inventor of the (drum roll here)

FRANKENSTATOR
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Building a rectifier/regulator for our Vulcan's would be very straightforward if it were't for that 6th pin on the r/r, the monitor pin.

There's an undocumented control circuit in the r/r that controls the output of that pin. If we new what it did, or what the complete control circuti was, it'd be a different story.

Having looked at the insides of a KAW r/r, I think they used poor construction techniques and under sized components but have a circuit that works well.

Jon

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i dont think anyone has actually made their own yet.... i was going to do my own if my stock unit couldnt handle the extra current from my stator mod. but it did, so i left it as i didnt have time to mess with it. Now IIRC on the OEM unit they have 3 diodes with thrysistors to regualate the voltage...... now there are much more efficent ways out there to do this... i suggest sticking with the trim style voltage regulation, b/c the voltage and ampage is to variant for other forms.

i suggest using 3 diodes to rectify the ac (i would say a 10-15 amp load each to be safe). then you can use a normal voltage regulator. now our system does require a voltage monitor that is comming back from the igniton switch as the wire in our bikes does a decent volt drop.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
i dont think anyone has actually made their own yet.... i was going to do my own if my stock unit couldnt handle the extra current from my stator mod. but it did, so i left it as i didnt have time to mess with it. Now IIRC on the OEM unit they have 3 diodes with thrysistors to regualate the voltage...... now there are much more efficent ways out there to do this... i suggest sticking with the trim style voltage regulation, b/c the voltage and ampage is to variant for other forms.

i suggest using 3 diodes to rectify the ac (i would say a 10-15 amp load each to be safe). then you can use a normal voltage regulator. now our system does require a voltage monitor that is comming back from the igniton switch as the wire in our bikes does a decent volt drop.
Hizzo can you elaborate on the monitor pin circuit? Why is it there? WHat does it do? I think you'll need six diodes as it is three phase.

Jon
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a monitoring circuit to me. Once voltage reaches a specific point, it kicks th regulator out until it's needed again. I've had to retrofit R/R on smaller Kawasaki engines to use this type of circuit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750
Hizzo can you elaborate on the monitor pin circuit? Why is it there? WHat does it do? I think you'll need six diodes as it is three phase.

Jon
yeah sorry, brain fart....i was thinking of using rectifing diodes which come in either pairs (4 diodes per unit) or singles (2 diodes per unit, and this is where i got my 3).

the monitor pin is for a Volt in. instead of monitoring off the output like most regulators, this set up uses as separate monitoring pin. They did that to over come the shotty wireing job they did. In some spots on the bikes electrical you can see over .5 volt drop. That can be rather important at idle speeds and so on if the regulator is only checking its internal output, and not checking externally.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band