1994 VN750 Charging issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

1994 VN750 Charging issues

So I believe I'm having the dreaded charging issue. Here's my story.

I went driving a week ago and after I got back to my place I put the bike in neutral and left it running. I went into the house to get something and came back out to the bike and it died on me. I tried to start it back up but the battery had no juice at all.

So I charged the battery overnight and tried it again in the morning. Then I brought the multimeter out and sure enough the voltage was slowly going down on the battery.

So I started by following the guide on thiis "Simple charging system troubleshooting" thread. I disconnected the bullet connectors coming from the stator and started testing. The resistance between the connectors was about 0.5 or so, and there was no continuity to ground so all good so far. But then I started the bike, revved her up to 3000 RPMs and tried testing the A/C Voltage output from the leads to one another they were 7V, 10V & 5V.

So is my stator fracked? Is there anything I could be missing? Also I noticed when my bike running with my stator disconnected my headlight didn't turn on. This is my first time noticing it being out. Is that normal?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM

I was thinking the AC voltage test was to be done from each lead and ground, but then saw info that said to check voltage between leads, which didn't make sense to me. Asked about it, but haven't found an answer yet. (edit: this is incorrect, the ac test is done between stator leads)

The stator AC output should be 40-70 volts on each lead, and all reasonably close to being equal.

If your stator was disconnected, the headlight wouldn't come on because the trigger wire to the relay wouldn't get any voltage.

Mine tested good seven times over a few weeks. Then after I did the MOSFET kit, the stator was suddenly dead shorted to ground on all three legs. So they're finicky on testing, sometimes they don't fail until they're warmed up also. My R/R wouldn't read anything at all, so I knew it was toast.

edit: If your test was done right, the stator AC voltage is way down, which means a trip down to stator land. See you there.

Last edited by Spockster; 04-24-2013 at 12:41 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 AM

Disregard what I posted about checking AC voltage between leads and ground, that's not correct. Not sure where I got that, don't have the link now, which is good.

You did it correctly by testing between stator leads.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 AM

Wow....your almost a Newfie....just a lil water between....
Welcome to the disfunctional family, eh......

You guys in Ontario, look, a neighbor !!! More in NS though.

Hey....what do your exhaust pipes look like...one each side, or 2 on one side ?....we been having a discussion about Canadian VNs....

Seems like those in Ontario have 2 outta one side, which isnt stock factory...wondering what you have.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I have exhaust pipes on both sides. I didn't buy in new I bought it used from a guy in Summerside.

So I guess I need a new stator. Any recommendations? Dealer gave me a ridiculous quote of $260. Are the cheaper ones on eBay that much lower in quality?

Would it be wise to get a new R/R too?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Another quick question. Will the bike stop running if the battery voltage gets too low or is a strong battery just needed to start the bike.?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorveatt View Post
Another quick question. Will the bike stop running if the battery voltage gets too low or is a strong battery just needed to start the bike.?
Yes, the coils need adequate voltage to create spark.

x2
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 AM

The stator recommended most is from TPE, Tim Parrott Enterprises. You can search that here, Ebay, and he has a website.

The price is lowest on his website: http://tpe-usa.com/

You send your stator to him, he rewinds it with larger and better quality wire which increases the output, and he sends it back.

I paid $81.95+8.25 shipping to him, it should get there today, it's already in Alabama.

Racetech was selling stators with a lifetime warranty, but I think they may have abandoned that, couldn't find one in a search.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Check on ebay for stator prices and remember that sometimes you get what you pay for.I was warned away from Electrosports brand.I don't know but some have bought "Ricks" electrics.When you buy one of the chinese ones it is just a crap shoot.Most on here send their stator to Tlm Parrot Enterprises "TPE" to have them rewound with better wire than they come from the factory with.

Others will chime in with recommendations and their experience with different brands Hang around a while to get a feeling of what kind of service others have gotten from different vendors.

You can post a thread under the buy and sell section and someone may have a bike they are parting out.or an extra stator they will part with.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
The stator recommended most is from TPE, Tim Parrott Enterprises. You can search that here, Ebay, and he has a website.

The price is lowest on his website: http://tpe-usa.com/

You send your stator to him, he rewinds it with larger and better quality wire which increases the output, and he sends it back.

I paid $81.95+8.25 shipping to him, it should get there today, it's already in Alabama.

Racetech was selling stators with a lifetime warranty, but I think they may have abandoned that, couldn't find one in a search.
I have recently sent my stator in to Tim Parrot Enterprises (TPE) ....
...like$6.00 ship to TPE.....Rewound - $82.00 shipped to Houston

x2

Last edited by WilliamTech; 04-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement