Stator replacement. is there an easier way?. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Stator replacement. is there an easier way?.

I have to ask if anyone has attempted to change the stator coil on the VN750 by cutting the frame on the left side and inserting a solid steel rod plug welded and bolted in the front and a split pipe bolted together in the rear.. I think this would allow for the removal of the cover and bolts without removing the engine. The integrety of the frame should remain intact as long as it is securely re-bolted .. just looking for an easier fix..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlowjoe View Post
I have to ask if anyone has attempted to change the stator coil on the VN750 by cutting the frame on the left side and inserting a solid steel rod plug welded and bolted in the front and a split pipe bolted together in the rear.. I think this would allow for the removal of the cover and bolts without removing the engine. The integrety of the frame should remain intact as long as it is securely re-bolted .. just looking for an easier fix..
I know one guy on here who modified the left side of his a few years and several stators ago with,no ill effects.He may not want me outing him on here publicly because all of the naysayers that say it can't be done and swear in their vast experience if you do it you'll die.If done right it will work.if you got the skills,have at it.Although I didn't say you could safely.

Here is my legal disclaimer.I will not guarantee the said modification not to "Rip ,Rot, Wear,Tear or other wise fail and cause some kind of misalignment of your frame or the Solar System.I also can not promise it will be the best thing you have ever Helt ,Felt or Smelt" that's the end of my disclaimer.

On a serious note I have wondered why it was perfectlly alright for Honda to build the VFR 750 this way fro the factory.But it would have been a sin for Kaw to do the same.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM

I know some have used the ends of the right sub-frame attachments and welded them correctly. Ebay is one place to find the sub-frame, but you need the ends off the main frame too or fab something up to fit.

Also saw one pic of another job that really looked hacked.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
can it be done, sure! doesn't make it a great idea to hack on a frame in my opinion. go with the stator plate mod if you plan on keeping it long enough you might have to replace it one day. to just swap it out is a two day job and I'm no pro! after the start plate mod it would be like a half hour job and you keep your frames structure

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I may be the one who Denny if referring to. I have done exactly that.
I don't have a write up on it as it is Highly fround upon & I don't suggest it as you could easily ruin the integrity of the frame.
But done right, it works.

The stator plate which was not available when I did mine is a better alternative.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I may be the one who Denny if referring to. I have done exactly that.
I don't have a write up on it as it is Highly fround upon & I don't suggest it as you could easily ruin the integrity of the frame.
But done right, it works.

The stator plate which was not available when I did mine is a better alternative.
where is the "Like" button, on this site?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Pulling the motor is not that big of a deal!!

I bought my VN750 for $300 in November of 2012, why so cheap? The stator needed to be replaced. I had been thinking about getting an entry level bike and since I am a decent mechanic. this was a perfect fit for me. I immediately did some research which included joining this forum and found that the engine has to be pulled to change the stator. I read all the threads on here about case mods and frame mods etc, wow. pulling the motor must be hell if so many see these modifications as a better way to go....I asked questions:: Do these stators fail so often that grinding your engine case is a good idea? Is pulling the motor so hard? Based upon the answers I got, this is what I did.
I purchased a Tim Parrot stator for 70 bucks....cheap and built to last.
I downloaded a manual for the bike, which is free all over the web.
I pulled the motor, put in the stator and put the motor back in, probably 8 hours work. It can be done much quicker if ur not anal about cleaning and restoring every nut and bolt like I am. Don't let pulling the motor intimidate you, far less skill required to pull the motor than to grind ur case without ruining it......Do it once the right way!

89 750 Vulcan
shaved, coastered, cone filters and rejetted, Tim Parrot Stator
Dekka, AGM battery All lights are LED except headlight
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesteraz View Post
I pulled the motor, put in the stator and put the motor back in, probably 8 hours work. It can be done much quicker if ur not anal about cleaning and restoring every nut and bolt like I am. Don't let pulling the motor intimidate you, far less skill required to pull the motor than to grind ur case without ruining it......Do it once the right way!
That's my thinking on it, too. My track record for disassembling and reassembling is much better than my track record for measuring right and cutting straight. I'll probably learn more about by mike that way, too. If anything, i might try the oil line modification. Fortunately my charging is good right now so ill just ride!

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 PM

I approve of this thread... great info everyone
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Giggity!