Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Crank Shaft sensor.

Hi to all,

So last December my bike decided to pack up with an electrical problem. It`s only firing on the rear cylinder and the tachometer flickers at 0 revs. I finally took it to an electrician and while testing the bike`s wiring he said that it must be one of the crank shaft sensors as there is current going to the coil but there is no firing pulse. He said that he has to take the whole stator cover out for it to be changed. From what I know from you folks here I figured out that then the whole engine must be pulled or lifted and he said that there was no need for this. I am no expert but can anyone shed some light as I cannot understand where these sensors can be and how on earth can he get to them without pulling the engine if the stator cover has to be removed......

Regards, Alan

89` Vulcan 750 - a.k.a HellRaiser

Last edited by malteser66; 04-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 AM

Garage
Haven't heard of that before, maybe someone else will chime in. Usually if the tach is jumping it's more of a grounding issue.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Remove the cover that has the three phillips screw on it. Also check the connections on the front coil first. It is behind the neck covers. Hope this helps you.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Garage
The tachometer on the dash runs off the signal coming from the front coil. Sounds like the front coil isn't firing. It could be a bad ground or the front coil is not getting a good 12V connection. If the connections are good and still not firing, then it could be the ignition control...or further back to the coil pickups.

I have no idea what he meant by "crank shaft sensors". but if the pickups are bad, you can inspect that by removing the left side cover.

Check out the thread HERE

I am very weary of most shops, so do a little research before you send it in just so you know what you are paying for. IMO you should be able to at least troubleshoot the issue on your own. Of coarse, we are all here to help you if you need it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 PM

These tachs are electronic...they measure off of spark frequency...(#sparks/per), i.e., spark per minute is same as rev per minute (sparks once per revolution, right ?). Just like a car electronic does.
Do what Niterider said....makes sense...check all your bullet connectors...my tach went wacky once when one of my front turn signals wasnt grounding right. A lot of the VNs electrics are interconnected, so one issue will cause others, its just another dumbass Kawi design...add 50' of extra grounding wire, instead of grounding to the frame...just dumb...

Last edited by Wolfie; 04-13-2013 at 06:50 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM

I've seen some posts here with wires coming loose from the pickups and one had a microscopic crack in the insulation, right at the pickup coil, which killed that cylinder. That one got covered with liquid tape and was good after that. He used a magnifying glass to find the crack.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I will check into the pick up coils, guys you are Great!! nuff said, this is one big Vulcan family which is also another reason to make me keep my Vulcan!!

Cheers to all, Al

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

All great, it was the pickup coil after all...... bike is roaring and rumbling again, I`m happy again! Thanks to all you my Vulcan brothers!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by malteser66 View Post
All great, it was the pickup coil after all...... bike is roaring and rumbling again, I`m happy again! Thanks to all you my Vulcan brothers!
awesome!! on the road again!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Dont ya love it when a plan comes together ?...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement