R/R voltage and cheap wiring - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
R/R voltage and cheap wiring

This may not come to suprise to many but after my battery almost went dead a couple of week ago I went a check the voltage reading from the stator and the R/R, apparently everything was fine but after a while running (15-20 min) the voltage readings started to drop significantly and the cables running from the R/R to the juntion box was extremely hot... the white cable from the R/R (the positive lead) was no longer white but brownish black from the heat...
Well, after a bit a changed the connector and put some new cable to the white cable coming out of the juntion box... and magic... right now I'm getting 15 volts at a mere 1500 rpm's and a constant 14.5 above 3500 rpm's... just as the kawasaki manual says it should... no more parasitic looses over the wiring...
Given my bike is 13 years old I'm guessing that the deparment of cheapness in Kawasaki had a hand in the wiring desing and selection (anyone remembers the grease in the splines??? ) so they make it a pretty tight fit (electrical speaking) for the power demans of the bike but the you have to add the bends (some derating needed) and the bundleing of the wires (some more derating) and the the temperature (even more derating) and you end up with wires that after a while are no able to carry the current of a brand new wiring harness. For some more reference go to: http://www.interfacebus.com/Componen...uide_line.html

This is not really and issue in most parts of the wiring harness because they conduct a rather small amount of current through them but the small batch of cables come from the R/R, first they are subjected to some elevated temperatures (thanks to the goat belly) and then they have some major current going in and out of the R/R (about 12-15 amps at full electrical load) so what appears to be 16 AWG wire (rated for 22 amps at room temp) is not sufficent to carry all the current generating heat, resistance and voltage drop... now for the interesting part, since the electrical power requirments of the bike really does not change that much wether be runnig at low rpm's or screaming on top rpm's, the voltage the system is runnig becomes crucial as a lower voltage needs more amps to sustain a constant power draw from the bike... the more amps that come out of the R/R equals more heat... and in the end more heat means an ugly dead to the diodes inside the R/R...
Apparenly the fix worked as no heat is really detectable in the new wire but still the 3 leads from the stator are getting some what hot so they are getting changed too...
If you are not seeing 14.5 to 15 volts at the battery post and even better at the accesory leads behind the headlight I advise you start tracking where the voltage drop is coming as is very likely that it's coming form the R/R wiring... do yourself a favor and save your R/R from frying...

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)

Last edited by Mushu; 10-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

What gauge wire did you use for the rewire?

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
I used 14 gauge wire... I had it at hand for the job... seems to have much thicker insulation than the original wire.... but I'm going to use 16 gauge wire for the stator wires... they do seem a bit smaller that other wires...

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM

I may give it a try. My white wire has charred the connector going into the R/R. If it's getting that hot, the other wires can't be too far behind.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Once Banned

I've also heard that the connectors oxidize from the heat, which in turn causes even more heat.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
on my frankenstator mod i used 10 gauge teflon wires to lead off the stator. they are good up to 200C which is like almost 450 F. i think we have other problems if that is reached. I plan at sometime to rewire the entire bike in a few years when i tear her down to 'custom' her. While in there i will prolly update and improve everything, like for instance the ignition control running throught the kill switch and everything through the ignition. I know they had relays back then, and they dont use but a fraction of an amp at 12V so i dunno lol.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM

I believe I used 12 ga wire to go to my coils when I modded. I'm no engineer so pardon this potentially stupid question, but can the wire be too large? I mean, is there a point where you've gone too far, other than the obvious 6 gauge wire being too big to bend or attach to any spade connector!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Once Banned

Too large - No.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushu
... put some new cable to the white cable coming out of the juntion box...

So you ran new wire from the J-box all the way to the ignition switch?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Now what

If you can find it, wire rated at 105 C is a good choice for wires that have to run near heat sources. I used some when I took out the bullet connectors on the yellow wires. Good stuff.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement