question about voltage readings - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
rider

question about voltage readings

you might remember my electical issues from this thread: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2393.

as a recap, my ignition switch was cutting the power off sporadically while i was riding and immediately after one of the 'power off' incidents, the voltage readings spiked up to 17 volts. when i got the bike back to base, i discovered that the r/r had been fried. also discovered that the negative battery lead had snapped off (not sure if this happened when i was taking the lead off the battery or while i was riding).

so... new ignition switch, new electrosport r/r, new negative battery lead.

i took the bike out for a test ride today. at 5000rpm, the voltmeter was reading about 14.5 volts. when i got the bike up to 6000rpm, the readings dropped to the low 13's... 13.1, 13.2 volts. when i pulled off the highway and stopped at a light (idling at 1000rpm), the readings were in the low 12's... 12.0, 12.1 volts.

two questions: 1. is the drop in voltage when i increase the speed from 5k to 6k rpm just a product of the regulator 'regulating'? it seems like 5k rpm is the sweet spot for the r/r. 2. at idle, 12.0 volts seems a little low. does this seem right? granted, it was fairly warm out today and the fan was probably running, but anything less than 12.5 volts scares me a bit.

the only thing that comes to mind is replacing the battery. this battery is new as of july... just wondering if the incident with the voltage spikes might have damaged the battery.

paul
1991 vn750: 'for great justice'
http://www.globalrecon.org
follow my rides on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/globalrecon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Once Banned

At 5K and at 1K, the readings are about right. If the fan came on at 6K, then the readings are about right. If not, then I dunno. But 5K and 1K are correct.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 06:54 PM

It sounds to me that the regulator is doing it's job... Although it looks like the voltmeter has too much voltage drop from the battery. I suspect the regulator is regulating correctly at the 14.5v cutoff but the meter is reading low, the idle voltage is probably about 13-13.5 volts read with a voltmeter at the battery. The regulator should then begin regulation at about 14-14.5 volts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by global_recon
when i pulled off the highway and stopped at a light (idling at 1000rpm), the readings were in the low 12's... 12.0, 12.1 volts.
Don't forget, if you were using the brakes, you'd probably get quite a drop from the brake lights.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Once Banned

The readings are correct. I'm sure he's running it from the battery. At idle, especially at 1000 rpms, the stator isn't producing enough voltage, so that's actual battery voltage that you see. Our batteries are not like car batteries, our batteries have a standard voltage of 12.5 volts. If the bike is turned on, especially with the headlight on, then the voltage will read lower.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
rider

the readings i specified were taken from a datel voltmeter wired to the accessory leads in the headlamp enclosure. i know cegodsey said he'd seen a .4-.6 v (i think) difference between readings taken at the accessory leads and readings taken directly on the battery, but i just checked and i'm getting only a .02 v decrease at the accessory leads.

i just started the bike again (it had been sitting for a few hours cold) and the voltmeter was reading 12.7v at idle. when i hit the brakes, it drops to 12.5v. maybe the earlier lower readings (12.0/12.1v) were due to heat [?].

paul
1991 vn750: 'for great justice'
http://www.globalrecon.org
follow my rides on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/globalrecon

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Once Banned

Very possibly.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Now what

The other guys have pretty much summed it up, at idle the stator isn't producing any significant current at any significant voltage. Think of it like this, when the bike's idling, it's running off of the battery. Period. That's why it's so important to have a healthy battery, better yet an AGM, maintenance free battery. It's also why you don't want to take your bike in any parade that lasts more than 10 minutes. Remember, don't worry about the voltage at idle, it's not suppose to be idling, it's suppose to be crusing

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
it's not suppose to be idling, it's suppose to be cruising

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Have you moved your r/r away from the goats belly? That added heat might account for the lower voltage at idle after the bike has heated up real good.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement