Electrical Testing?!?! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Electrical Testing?!?!

So soon after purchasing my bike last year it began having starting problems. Realized my battery is being charged. Skip to today... have been doing some trouble shooting trying to figure out which component is causing my problems.

Using this thread: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24093

Next set your meter to VAC,200 or less.Remember I mentioned AC output,we are now going to test that.Start the bike ( you should have the battery fully charged before testing your charging system BTW) warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. This next part is easier with a helper,but you can do it by yourself.run the engine up to around 3K RPM's and check between any and all combinations of the three leads from the stator,you should have between 40 to 70 VAC .Is the voltage up to snuff ? It may be a little more but it's doubtful unless you have one that has been rewound as heavy duty or high output.Did it pass the test?In order to pass it must have proper voltage between all combinations of A1,A2 and A3,if one combination is very low or no voltage at all you have a bad stator.If it is good ,time to move on.

^^^I got to this test where A1 to A3 failed the test, while all other combinations gave me around 50 VAC.

Also i did a Charging System Output Voltage Test from my Clymer manual where i hooked up my voltmeter to the chassis ground and the positive terminal connector. When doing this test i found that at 3k rpms i was reading 12.4 but when removing the top two fuses(headlight and accessories) that it went up to 13.4.

So, im not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions figuring this out would be extremely helpful to getting my back on the road

Thanks
Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Just did another test from my Clymer manual. I was testing the 3 yellow wires from the stator for resistance and continuity. They showed no resistance to ground but when testing them to each other for continuity they value was .8-1 and checking in my Clymer manual the values should have been .34-.52.

To me it seems like my Stator is defininetly the problem, yes?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Am I on the right track here guys and gals? Buying alot of parts for the stator job and wouldnt want to do the job for nothing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Am I on the right track here guys and gals? Buying alot of parts for the stator job and wouldnt want to do the job for nothing.
Yes, it seems your stator went south.

It seems to have lost one phase on it .the two are putting out minimal power through the R/R and showing voltage with other loads unplugged.The other two phases will fail soon.Time to change it out before you damage your r/r as well

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 04-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Yes, it seems your stator went south.

It seems to have lost one phase on it .the two are putting out minimal power through the R/R and showing voltage with other loads unplugged.The other two phases will fail soon.Time to change it out before you damage your r/r as well
I appreciate the input, I needed some confirmation to start cutting apart my bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Those 3 yellow wires often go bad though....mine did....try replacing them using soldered splices and the next gauge up wire. If the issues are still there, yup, what Denny said...Id try the cheap and easy way out first, but thats just me...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Those 3 yellow wires often go bad though....mine did....try replacing them using soldered splices and the next gauge up wire. If the issues are still there, yup, what Denny said...Id try the cheap and easy way out first, but thats just me...
The 3 yellow wires with bullet connectors? Where would I replace them? I took my readings directly from the bullet connections with them unplugged. They're solid back to the stator.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
The 3 yellow wires with bullet connectors? Where would I replace them? I took my readings directly from the bullet connections with them unplugged. They're solid back to the stator.
That's all you can check . If your readings were taken there,it is the stator. Cheap and easy fixes are out now.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
That's all you can check . If your readings were taken there,it is the stator. Cheap and easy fixes are out now.
Alright then.... Operation Dremel and Prayers is a go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement