Discharged battery after long rush hour - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
Discharged battery after long rush hour

Has anybody experience a low battery after been in traffic for a long time??? Yesterday after about two hours in heavy traffic my bike died two times and it was showing signs that the battery was a bit low... after I got home I checked and the battery was some what low in charge... This is the first time that I have been so long in trafic and had the RPM's rather low (a lot of idle time)...

Any clues? Can this bike not be riden in such conditions... ???

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM
rider

hey mushu.

yes, i've definitely experienced that as well. hizzo explained to me that when the engine gets hotter (which happens when you're in traffic), the stator is less efficient and won't put out as much power as when it is cool. once the engine cools down, things should return to normal. the vulcan isn't the best bike for slow traffic conditions; a mf battery will make a big difference if you don't already have one in your bike.

hizzo might be able to elaborate.

paul
1991 vn750: 'for great justice'
http://www.globalrecon.org
follow my rides on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/globalrecon

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Once Banned

If you get a volt gauge, you can see what kind of a strain you are putting on your system. You'd be surprised how just a little idling at lights is required to really drain the battery. If you have to do this much, don't use your brake while waiting.

Hopefully you didn't burn anything up.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Ta dA!! and poof goes a cloud of smoke and a weak and frail little man apears!

Ok, so i see you live in mexico city. is that the one in mexico, or is there a mexico city somewhere in the US (hey texas has a paris)?

Here is what is causing your issues. As mentioned by global_recon, as your stator gets hot, it produces less juice. This combined with the fact the bike is at a drain at idle that is what cause ur dying. Here are some things that you can do to help, not fic, just help.
1) either replace your tail with led arrays (radiaz (sp) makes some decent ones), or when at a full stop take your hand off the brake... this saves about 30 watts (2.5 amps) of juice.
2) another thing, turn off all accesories. If you encounter traffic often you may even want to purchase and wire a switch for the headlight. that is 55 watts saved.

if you do both 1&2 that should cover you for when the fan is running somewhat. The other issue is the stator. when you have it replaced, have them do an extra turn or 2 per pole, and that will fix the idle draw.

**note**
1)watch your bat water levels, heat from the GB can cause it to run dry frying the system.
2) a r/r relocation, or GB removal will prevent further damage from long idles.
3)HEAT DESTROYS STATORS!!!!!!!! FIND AN ALTERNATE ROUTE I think this will save you much time down the way. not only that, but you will prolly get home sooner too! There are a few gps with realtime traffic if you are interested.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushu
Has anybody experience a low battery after been in traffic for a long time??? Yesterday after about two hours in heavy traffic my bike died two times and it was showing signs that the battery was a bit low... after I got home I checked and the battery was some what low in charge... This is the first time that I have been so long in trafic and had the RPM's rather low (a lot of idle time)...

Any clues? Can this bike not be riden in such conditions... ???
All of what the other guys said plus this. Our bikes were never intended to idle around in traffic for long periods of time. The stator doesn't produce enough voltage at idle to recharge the battery, or run any electrical loads. It's all falling on the battery. The battery is what's supplying all the juice. So if you get stuck in traffic, you have to conserve as much current as you can. Turn off the headlight (add a relay and switch if necessary). Put in iridium plugs (they'll fire at a lower voltage than regular plugs). That won't save electricity, the bike will just idle better and be less likely to die. Put in LED lights like Hizzo3 said. Get an AGM maintenance free battery. It'll survive this kind of abuse longer. But in reality, drawing down any battery like that on a regular basis will kill it. When the battery goes, the stator isn't far behind. It doesn't sound like this is a regular occurence so everything should be ok, but you should plan ahead and be ready if you get stuck in traffic again.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Never satisfied

I was thinking of the Radianze LEDs also but are there any that will fit out tail light housing? ours looks to small, website says you need 4" of clearance. Plus does anyone have a led bulb for the plate light?

Jeff (Woody) Woodward
[B]'99' Black and blue(deceased)
06 900 Classic
MS shield&lowers
ISO flame grips
Mustang seat
Cobra backrest/rack
Phat II risers
Leatherlyke bags
Roadhouse 2 into 1's (wish they were made for 750's)
Scootworks pulley
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
Ta dA!! and poof goes a cloud of smoke and a weak and frail little man apears!

Ok, so i see you live in mexico city. is that the one in mexico, or is there a mexico city somewhere in the US (hey texas has a paris)?

Here is what is causing your issues. As mentioned by global_recon, as your stator gets hot, it produces less juice. This combined with the fact the bike is at a drain at idle that is what cause ur dying. Here are some things that you can do to help, not fic, just help.
1) either replace your tail with led arrays (radiaz (sp) makes some decent ones), or when at a full stop take your hand off the brake... this saves about 30 watts (2.5 amps) of juice.
2) another thing, turn off all accesories. If you encounter traffic often you may even want to purchase and wire a switch for the headlight. that is 55 watts saved.

if you do both 1&2 that should cover you for when the fan is running somewhat. The other issue is the stator. when you have it replaced, have them do an extra turn or 2 per pole, and that will fix the idle draw.

**note**
1)watch your bat water levels, heat from the GB can cause it to run dry frying the system.
2) a r/r relocation, or GB removal will prevent further damage from long idles.
3)HEAT DESTROYS STATORS!!!!!!!! FIND AN ALTERNATE ROUTE I think this will save you much time down the way. not only that, but you will prolly get home sooner too! There are a few gps with realtime traffic if you are interested.
Hizzo3, you are right... actually I was going through the kawazaki service manual and it states that for European models they use some sort of day ligth running light (10 or 15 watts) so less draw to the battery. Anyway as for your suggestion as for alternate route it's kind a hard when you live in a city with 6 million cars and only about 3 main highways to take... so it's kind a difficult... it sucks big time... I need to relocate to some other city...

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Dan

There are several long-lasting traffic signals that I go through every day. I always shut the bike off when I catch these lights red, especially if it's hot out. Idling the bike for very long in hot weather is about the worst thing you can do.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I got stuck in traffic awhile back with temps ranging in the 100s. My fan doesn't work so engine temps started soaring. I'd imagine the battery was taking a beating as well. When at a dead stop, I killed the engine and then started it again when traffic started to move. Don't know if this helped save the battery but it did help with the bike not overheating. Once we got by the construction causing the delay and traffic started moving again, eveything was OK.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

After my experience with the same heat-related bike issues this summer (sitting in traffic on a very hot day in Gettysburg), someone explained to me that under 2500 or so rpm, the battery will discharge anyway (the heat only adds to the problem for an MF battery). Since the 750 idle speed is 1100 +/-50, I was told to open the choke and run the engine at a higher rpm. Seems counterintuitive to me, since a higher rpm is just going to generate more heat. But does anyone have thoughts about that, i.e., idling higher?

Thanks.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement