Battery and corrosion - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Battery and corrosion

Just pulled the seat and battery from my new-to-me 99 Vulcan.

I looked up the battery, and it does seem to be a MF battery. Does anyone know what that clear tube is/does? It was coiled up right behind the left cover

I noticed there is some corrosion or crud from the old battery maybe? Not sure. It's inside the battery compartment, down on one of the electrical connections going into the fuse box, and in the middle of the rubber hole where the left cover plugs in.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM

David ,
Sorry that is not a maintenance free battery, When I checked voltage to battery, The top of battery looked to be sealed. the tube is a vent. It goes down the side of battery box and vents out under bike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering that, but me being new to the MF battery world, I looked it up and the sears website is ambiguous. It says it's MF, and that it's conventional. I think I'll just replace it either way.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-powersp...1&blockType=G1

\m/ Jaymz \m/
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Do you think the vent tube being coiled up like that is why there is so much crud everywhere? Or could that maybe be from the old battery?

\m/ Jaymz \m/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM

From it being coiled up. It should slide in the hole on the side of battery box and down to ground behind goats belly.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfite1978 View Post
Do you think the vent tube being coiled up like that is why there is so much crud everywhere? Or could that maybe be from the old battery?
yup! it looks like that battery took a piss on your bike!

a MF battery won't do that.

but hey, if you decide to get a new battery, you can get a "Big Crank" MF battery. that way you can brag about having a "Big Crank"! lol

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 03-30-2013 at 03:06 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

OK, got the new battery. Got the battery cage pulled out of the bike. What's the best way to clean it up (before I spray some rustoleum on it)? Also, the metal ring where the rubber gasket is (that holds the side cover on) has corrosion on it and peeled the paint off. What's the best way to clean that part too, and what kind of paint can I put on it to match the frame (might be too small/hard to spray paint)?

\m/ Jaymz \m/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

About 6 hours worth of work. Got the battery cage out, stripped off the rust, repainted it, plus painted the ring that holds the rubber ring, and part of the frame that had a rust spot. Cleaned and greased the bad connection.

Put the new MF battery in, started up perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	5762  

\m/ Jaymz \m/

Last edited by davidfite1978; 04-06-2013 at 09:11 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM

Same battery I bought, seems to be a good piece. My stator is dead and I had the bike out today for a wash and moving it to the garage stall. The battery kept starting it right up even though it was down just below 12v. (have the trickle charger on it now) Gonna rip the stator out next.

Found out the starter won't even try with the left side bolts out of the battery box, it loses the ground there.

For future reference, baking soda is good for neutralizing battery acid. You can mix it into a paste and apply or dissolve it in water and spray it on, then rinse it off. In a pinch, I've used pop, soda, Coke, on car batt terminals, it's the sodium that counteracts the acid.

Yours will be fine the way you did it though.

Those pics are good evidence for going with an AGM battery, the vent snafu had everything corroding under there. Good catch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
baking soda is good for neutralizing battery acid
Yup, that's what I did. I pulled the cage completely out, then scraped all the loose paint off with a paint scraper, then scrubbed it with a toothbrush using the baking soda paste (2 or 3 times), then bought LOCTITE Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver from Lowes, and followed directions (3 or 4 times) and it got rid of a TON of rust with no scrubbing, then painted with Rustoleum Professional high performance enamel. I may not have gotten 100% of the rust off (probably 98 or 99), and it may not be the best paint, but it sure looks good and will at least keep me running for a while. If I ever do it again it'll be in the off-season so I can really scrub it down and get every little bit of old paint and rust off.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement