Quick Access side plate -- stator R/R - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quick Access side plate -- stator R/R

This is the supplier who makes the quick access side cover that provides access to the stator without having to remove the engine from the frame.

Note: You do have to remove the engine to install it.

Why do it? The stator is a known weak point on the bike. If you have a few years / miles on the bike, there is a good chance you stator is is the risky zone. To replace it, you have to pretty much remove the engine anyhow, so if in the mean time you have any reason to take out the engine, consider installing the quick access plate. Then, when your stator goes South, it is a snap to replace it.

The cost as of July 2004 is about $450.

http://tocmanufacturing.com/Side_Cover_mod.htm

. . . Chris
San Jose, CA
2001 VN750 Black / Silver "Destrier"

When The Wildloon Barks, Even The Lion Becomes Confused . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 09:50 AM

Re: Quick Access side plate -- stator R/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildloon1
This is the supplier who makes the quick access side cover that provides access to the stator without having to remove the engine from the frame.

Note: You do have to remove the engine to install it.

The cost as of July 2004 is about $450.
Chris...did you do this when you had your wreck repaired??

Having been thru the stator replacement 'nightmare' recently, I seriously considered this option when I replaced mine. But the $450 is for the mod only...you must send them your stator cover for them to modify....obviously after you or someone has done the work to remove it. It's another $250 for them to send you a new, modified stator cover if you want one. I don't know what their turn around is, but I could envision at least 2 weeks to modify mine if you consider shipping. I couldn't wait that long!!
Also, since I replaced my OEM stator w/ the venerable Electrex G5, and also have their RR, I am seriously crossing my fingers that I am done w/ stator & RR issues.
Bottom line for me was...since you have to go thru the agony of almost pulling the engine out to do this mod (most likely when the stator is already gone), you are most likely going to replace it (stator) with one that (allegedly) will not break down like the stocker, for ~$150. $450 was/is a lot of cash to spend for something you may never need to use if you upgrade the stator & RR. At least that is what I am praying for...
If I was doing a rebuild or crash repair etc I might think differently, esp if they could get the price down a bit....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Search Goddess

James is working on getting the price down. I sent off a stator cover from our spare engine for him to work with for the retooling. We of course are in the exact type of situation that you mention.. we have two project bikes going and right now both stators check out good so we will not be replacing them. Having the mod done on one of the engines (And possibly the second) will give us the advantage of a quick replace if and when it does happen.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Hello JM—

Since my engine has to be removed in order to fix the problem with my shift lever shaft, I thought this would be an ideal opportunity to install the quick-change side cover.

I went through an interesting mental “tug-of war” as I was contemplating doing this mod. The bike was running perfectly, with not even a hint of electrical trouble. On the other hand, the stator is a known weakness for our bikes. Should I cough up the $450 to simplify a stator replacement that might never happen, or do nothing and just hope for the best?

The decision was made easier by two things; the engine was going to be out of the bike anyway, and the insurance company came through with a damage settlement that gave me some extra cash to work with. I wouldn’t do it if I had to pay it all out of my own pocket—I don’t have enough money to permit me to fix something that “ain’t broke.”

I will post a report on the whole story after the dust has settled.

. . . Chris
San Jose, CA
2001 VN750 Black / Silver "Destrier"

When The Wildloon Barks, Even The Lion Becomes Confused . . .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 01:57 PM

Chris...super glad that your Insurance co. came thru for ya! Keep us posted on how things turn out...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 03:27 PM

Talking Re: Quick Access side plate -- stator R/R

I can go along with the not fixing what aint broke, 450 bucks is a lot of cash. (you could buy some really nice accessories with that) plus sending in your cover. and waiting. Just too expensive for me as well, would probably just put in the big stator and be done with it that way, and fuse it to prevent failure. if the mod was say 100 bucks, that would shine somewhat of a different light on the matter for me, but this is all IMHO.
beavis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement