Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
87 VN750 Lookin Good

Send a message via Skype™ to acisroc
[email protected]$%%& remove engine???

I have only 13v AC from my stator leads and my volt meter goes down to 10 volts as the engine warms up. I ordered the heavy duty stator and a rectifier/regulator and gaskets. You have to be kidding me I have to remove the engine to replace the stator???? HELP!

MODS: AGM/MF battery.Rect.Black Mirrors,Smoked windshield H D brakes,Voltmeter,Backrest pack,Chrome brake cover, Chrome res. cover, Hard saddlebags red turn signal lights built in.Custom back rack.Chrome mirror dampeners,Red NGK spark plug wires,K+N air filters, Chrome windshield trim, Chrome fender trim front and rear,Gas tank chrome trim. Extra turn, stop and running led's,ss flame radiator grill, HD stator R/R Mod Low handlebars F+S engine guard, hwy pegs continental II tires,fog lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Jack of all trades

Yep gotta pull the engine. Since you have it pulled you might consider the tuxedo stator plate mod.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
87 VN750 Lookin Good

Thanks

I was hoping the stator mod could be put in without removing engine LOL I have 27666 miles on it now. New stator(H.D.) and rectifier should last another 27666 miles.

MODS: AGM/MF battery.Rect.Black Mirrors,Smoked windshield H D brakes,Voltmeter,Backrest pack,Chrome brake cover, Chrome res. cover, Hard saddlebags red turn signal lights built in.Custom back rack.Chrome mirror dampeners,Red NGK spark plug wires,K+N air filters, Chrome windshield trim, Chrome fender trim front and rear,Gas tank chrome trim. Extra turn, stop and running led's,ss flame radiator grill, HD stator R/R Mod Low handlebars F+S engine guard, hwy pegs continental II tires,fog lights

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Prowling Tiger

It can be put in w/o pulling engine. However, the process is only a few steps away from pulling motor anyways.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Jack of all trades

And IMHO its safer to do with the engine pulled. More room to work and you don't have to worry about your bike tipping over onto you.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 PM

I shyed away from doing an engine pull also, to do my upper cam chains....Im sorry I did...shouldda pulled it in autumn....now, I may end up being late for riding season (a little)....at least these bikes have the removable frame section to allow for easier removal...60's and 70's bikes didnt have that, and it was a real chore....these tend to be 10x easier from what Ive been told...

Good time to do yer splines too....btw....

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
87 VN750 Lookin Good

Oh well...

I ordered the parts and will pull the motor, I just wonder how to disconnect the driveshaft or front part by the engine case to disconnect it; I think it is the front bevel?? Will I need more gaskets? I will lube the shaft, I may be able to disconnect it to get the engine out.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acisroc View Post
I ordered the parts and will pull the motor, I just wonder how to disconnect the driveshaft or front part by the engine case to disconnect it; I think it is the front bevel?? Will I need more gaskets? I will lube the shaft, I may be able to disconnect it to get the engine out.
New Rider instructed me through it. I forget the details. I;ll let New Rider explain.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Waitin2Ride

to remove your driveshaft, you need to remove the front bevel gear. Unbolt it and slide it out and forward a bit. should come out smoothly. You will probably need new gaskets, but it will be cheaper to buy gasket material and make your own. When I made mine, I used line chalk (blue) and dusted it over the areas that needed a gasket and then placed the part on the gasket material and applied a bit of pressure. The chalk leaves a nice outline on the paper for the new gasket.

Now where did this piece come from???

Last edited by Mercilessgod; 03-24-2013 at 05:54 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acisroc View Post
............ New stator(H.D.) and rectifier should last another 27666 miles.
Good luck with that. I bought the Ricks "HD" stator and it lasted 400 miles before the cheap Chineese wire melted together in the case at the stator itself. Second replacement the engine case got the Tuxedo mod! Never did get my replacement or money back from Ricks. Guess they lost it in the mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement